Red light zone in Sheffield?

A legalised red light zone will be allowed to continue following a review by the authorities in Leeds, despite the murder of a sex worker there, it was announced today.

Red light zones in all large towns and cities; how would you feel about that?

Prostitution is not a good way to live, in my opinion, and should be heavily discouraged.

I have never visited a prostitute, it is tempting, but wrong and expensive ;)

I think they should legalise brothels & ensure the safety of the people who work in the sex industry.

I've no problem with prostitutes, male or female.

It's the world's oldest profession and the authorities should recognise that sometimes people go to saunas or brothels for sex.

Make sure that they are properly run, with the emphasis on the physical safety and sexual health of all concerned. They can be inspected to ensure that they are clean and safe.

Have any of you walked though the red light area near Kelham Island ?

The girls . . . They ain't pretty, with missing teeth and obvious drug addictions.

I don't know who is more desperate . . . the girls or the punter.

I really, really hope something will also be done about getting them cleaned up and off the streets too.

A friend of mines boss's lock up is down where the 'Red Light' district is in Sheffield and whilst we could be down there working on something, they constantly ask you for 'business' and various drugs. They look terrible as said before they have obvious drug addictions and no real means of keeping clean and healthy. Personally I find it depressing to see, specially watching the same car driving around numerous times waiting for no one to be around so they can pull over.

One of the girls was holding her coat one day and shouted over to us to ask ''can you tell I'm pregnant''

Have any of you walked though the red light area near Kelham Island ?

The girls . . . They ain't pretty, with missing teeth and obvious drug addictions.

I don't know who is more desperate . . . the girls or the punter.

I really, really hope something will also be done about getting them cleaned up and off the streets too.

Yeah they are in terrible condition, most of the blokes I see picking them up are not in much better nick either from what I have seen of them, usually very old men.

---------- Post added 29-07-2016 at 18:38 ----------

Shalesmoor, and Shepherd St in particular, are already legal prostitution zones aren't they? Well they must be, because the police and council never do anything.

I went through last week late on after I finished work and the police car in front of me drove straight past them, guess they dont bother anyone down there out of the way.

A mate of mine lives near the old Timber Top pub and he regularly sees one walking up and down without a care in the world looking for business right outside the empty pub and the sports ground.

I wonder if brothels were legalised whether there would still be 'streetwalkers'. Perhaps there would....

Agreed, simply because no brothel would be employing these toothless drug addicts.

edited to add:

I don't mean to sound harsh Mister M, because these are vulnerable young women who are at the end of the day somebody's daughter, or sister, or mum. But much more work needs to be done than simply the council legalising brothels and the Police creating tolerance zones. The drug addiction needs to be broken, and the girls need a greater sense of self-worth.

Edited by The Joker