Sheffield one of the most expensive places for students

The title is wrong. There is absolutely no suggestion that Sheffield is more expensive than average.

Probably because the OP quotes a source- BBC which quotes a source-RBS, which quotes the real source- Nat West.

Only 25 town and cities surveyed.

About100 students surveyed in each place.

Students "incentivised" to reply.

After Oxbridge where students are dissuaded from working during their 8 week terms, Sheffield students study for longer and earn the least from term time work.

Therefore their annual income is the least.

The "league table" is an index called Student Living which is the average local weekly student expenditure on living and accommodation costs divided by average local weekly income for working students. This is no indicator of how expensive Sheffield is.

In all aspects Sheffield students spend well below the average.

Sheffield rental costs is below average and 19/25.

Sheffield students at 20/25 spend less than average on alcohol.

Less than average 23/25 on bills, 18/25 on "going out", 16/25 on clothes etc..

As Student "happiness" ratings for Sheffield have always been high, it would be easy to extrapolate that because "fun" and "costs" are so low, there is little need for the students to earn extra money.

Good analysis.

The title is wrong. There is absolutely no suggestion that Sheffield is more expensive than average.

Probably because the OP quotes a source- BBC which quotes a source-RBS, which quotes the real source- Nat West.

Only 25 town and cities surveyed.

About100 students surveyed in each place.

Students "incentivised" to reply.

After Oxbridge where students are dissuaded from working during their 8 week terms, Sheffield students study for longer and earn the least from term time work.

Therefore their annual income is the least.

The "league table" is an index called Student Living which is the average local weekly student expenditure on living and accommodation costs divided by average local weekly income for working students. This is no indicator of how expensive Sheffield is.

In all aspects Sheffield students spend well below the average.

Sheffield rental costs is below average and 19/25.

Sheffield students at 20/25 spend less than average on alcohol.

Less than average 23/25 on bills, 18/25 on "going out", 16/25 on clothes etc..

As Student "happiness" ratings for Sheffield have always been high, it would be easy to extrapolate that because "fun" and "costs" are so low, there is little need for the students to earn extra money.

:huh:

I thought we were often told on here how good students are for Sheffield's economy?

Now it turns out that on average they're not spending as much as students in other cities...

... and you can't argue with statistics! ;)

Sheffield is dearer than London in some ways. I`m from Sheffield and spend time in London. For example the other Saturday we had a coffee in Covent Garden and later in the Strand, both Central and on main high streets, both were cheaper and far better than most cafes we visit in Sheffield. We ate out at a Bella Italia (Covent Garden) which was cheaper and better food than Wankie and Benny`s here in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 01-08-2016 at 17:45 ----------

We paid £1.80 for many coffees in Central London, all lovely, went to Renishaw hall and paid £2.90 for a cup of mud.

---------- Post added 01-08-2016 at 17:47 ----------

I complained about the £2.90 and was told it`s because of the new machine. I explained that was non sense.

---------- Post added 01-08-2016 at 17:48 ----------

Take no notice of tripe like surveys above, they are all non sense too. There is usually an agenda, self promotion by the usual cities.

---------- Post added 01-08-2016 at 17:50 ----------

In ten years time we will have a third University here in Sheffield.

I happened to visit Covent Garden last Thursday, for 3 beers, 1 milkshake, 2 lemonades and 2 trays of chips it cost me £35.

In Sheffield it would have cost considerably less.

I didn't go into any independent coffee shops to be fair, but Starbucks charges the same in most places.

Are you seriously comparing a cafe coffee with one at a posh hotel that is 25 miles outside Sheffield?

Bella Italia is a chain, the food is presumably much the same whether you eat it in London or Sheffield.

We had lunch at Tombo in Soho http://tombocafe.com/#home, massively more expensive than having sushi at Yo Sushi (since we're playing at not comparing like for like), but also more expensive than Wasabisabi or Sakushi.

The London premium is not at all sufficient to compensate for the higher costs.

You would need around 4,569.75£ in London to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 2,600.00£ in Sheffield (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax).

From

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=United+Kingdom&city1=Sheffield&city2=London&tracking=getDispatchComparison

The median average UK salary is currently £27,531 while the City of London is the highest-earning region, boasting an average salary of £48,023.

Sheffield is about 26k from the same data source.

So the cost of living is approx 175%, whilst the average salary is 184%..

Hmm, disproving my point. Oh well, that's the way the numbers crunch. If you earn the average amounts, you're better off living in London than Sheffield.

I know that doesn't work for me, I'd be able to get about a 25% income premium, but costs would be up 75% as per the numbers here.

Perhaps the average is misleading though, simply moving to London isn't likely to increase anyones income by 75%, whilst it IS likely to increase the cost of living by that much.