Christian protest at Pride - Endcliffe Park

Which minority group do you belong to Robin? or are you one of those people who take offence to things on behalf of others, just in case it upsets them?

Have you ever asked the Majority groups if they want an event? you seem to have just made a statement on their needs, do you have facts to back this up?

I'm gay. Secondly, 'Modernsoulman' said he wanted to have a straight pride event. I did not suggest it.

Does that satisfy you?

Can we have a Straight Pride event next year in Endcliffe Park please?

You've obviously not noticed that you get to do that the other 364 days of the year. LGBT people just have the one.

---------- Post added 10-09-2016 at 22:37 ----------

Robin H I am not being sarcastic at all, some respect please.

I mean Heterosexual people don't flaunt there sexuality, in peoples faces.

Just live life, quietly with some decorum, and self respect.

What else do you call it when straight people kiss and hold hands in public, post pictures reflecting their sexuality all over the internet? What you call LGBT 'flaunting' is just what hetero people are allowed to do as a matter of course. It's a double standard.

You've obviously not noticed that you get to do that the other 364 days of the year. LGBT people just have the one.

What else do you call it when straight people kiss and hold hands in public, post pictures reflecting their sexuality all over the internet? What you call LGBT 'flaunting' is just what hetero people are allowed to do as a matter of course. It's a double standard.

Precisely. It was a ridiculous comment.

Sorry, I can't be doing with this argument that 'straight people get the other 364 days' because straight people clearly do not have parties every other day to celebrate their sexuality - that's just ridiculous.

The flaunting argument is more acceptable though, because clearly straight people do that every day. But instead of having an event to allow gay people to do so why can't we just let it happen naturally in the same way? I saw two girls come out of Hallam Uni hand in hand the other day. Were they gay? Don't know and don't care. Was anyone else batting an eyelid at it? No. Just as it should be. Having an event to promote this may have been necessary 20 or 30 years ago, but in this day and age, not so much.

Sorry, I can't be doing with this argument that 'straight people get the other 364 days' because straight people clearly do not have parties every other day to celebrate their sexuality - that's just ridiculous.

The flaunting argument is more acceptable though, because clearly straight people do that every day. But instead of having an event to allow gay people to do so why can't we just let it happen naturally in the same way? I saw two girls come out of Hallam Uni hand in hand the other day. Were they gay? Don't know and don't care. Was anyone else batting an eyelid at it? No. Just as it should be. Having an event to promote this may have been necessary 20 or 30 years ago, but in this day and age, not so much.

If only that were the case.

I agree, it would be great to live in a world where nobody batted an eyelid at two men holding hands, but we do not live in that world.

It would be great to live in world where the phrase 'that's gay' didn't mean something that's lame or embarrassing. It would be great to be able to grow up in a school where the sexuality you knew you were wasn't a synonym for something that nobody would want to associate with.

It would be great if we lived in a world where 16-24 year old gay and bisexual men weren't 6 times more likely to attempt suicide than their straight peers.

When these things no longer happen, then I could accept that pride events are unnecessary.

If only that were the case.

I agree, it would be great to live in a world where nobody batted an eyelid at two men holding hands, but we do not live in that world.

It would be great to live in world where the phrase 'that's gay' didn't mean something that's lame or embarrassing. It would be great to be able to grow up in a school where the sexuality you knew you were wasn't a synonym for something that nobody would want to associate with.

It would be great if we lived in a world where 16-24 year old gay and bisexual men weren't 6 times more likely to attempt suicide than their straight peers.

When these things no longer happen, then I could accept that pride events are unnecessary.

I'm with you on most of those things. My point is that people do stop and stare and make judgement about what they see at Pride (or what is reported on the news about it) more than they do about seeing two people in the street.

I have lived with another man for the past 20 years in a variety of locations, and not once have a Christian group felt the need to protest outside our house, or the neighbours have any problem with us. Not that they were brave enough to voice anyway. Yet I drink with friends in the pub who look at coverage of Pride and say things like 'I'm glad you're not like that'. Things is, most of us aren't. But that's the image it portrays. Hence why I no longer think it does any good.