Extended warranty advice.

I've had issues both ways.

I had extended warranty on an Alfa(built in to my monthly premium for the car), as i couldn't afford big repair bills. Anyway i blew the engine and the warranty wouldn't pay out claiming it was wear and tear. So it cost a pretty penny to have it repaired.

18 months later the same car had another engine problem which resulted in some parts etc needing replacing, my mechanic claimed the damage was due to a faulty oil pump and the insurers paid out.

I don't have warranty anymore though.

Can only echo what's been said really.

Depends what is actually covered. If you read the small print, most of the big stuff like turbo, dpf (if diesel), clutch, flywheel, brakes etc are probably excluded.

Then there's probably further conditions, like in one I was offered - It had to have been serviced by a dealer in their network (£££), it had to have been serviced according to their schedule etc etc. (I don't agree with the latest service intervals as I think they're too high - I wouldn't cook my chips in oil that I'd had for 2 years, so I won't run my car on 2 year old oil).

I didn't take the warranty out. Had the car for 6 years out of warranty, with just usual service costs from a non dealer garage.

I took an extended 3 year warranty out for around £400 on a 2.5 year old 55 plate Renault Megane with Evans Halshaw. They tried to start it at point of purchase but after I queried the manufacturers warranty still remaining they agreed to start it at the 3 year mark. Developed a major electrical fault about a year after purchase which took them four days to pinpoint and fix and cost them about £1500. Also got around another £600 of faults fixed so probably the best £400 pounds I ever gambled with :)

Guest sibon
Plus a kettle hasn't had a previous owner who might have neglected it.

But it also doesn't have a load of likely to fail components that are excluded from the warranty.