Price or quality?

Clarify buy cheap though?

To me cheap is how much i can afford to loose/waste.

I've recently bought and had installed a cctv system for under £200 with a hd that will save everything for about 6 months.Full access via a website etc etc

An alarm engineer on here claimed they were crap and waffled on about all sorts of stuff(that may be important to some) but wasn't to me.I didn't want to pay £200 never mind £1000's.

I remember when Samsung - was a cheap brand. My neighbour has a £800 42 inch tv 3 weeks out of its warranty and it blew the screen. Its just cost £200 to repair.

I paid less than that for a Technika with a dvd player - with the same warranty.

Most of us buy online, when searching is it just me that opts to display items, "cheapest first"?

I have just been trying to purchase a garden strimmer, its very difficult to decide which one is the best value. I ended up buying second hand from a relative.

I know wealthy people are sometimes tighter than the rest of us, so who and why do people buy the more costly items.

Councils and large organisations, should they buy a branded item, or is a own brand better value.

When are they allowed to buy British, regardless, and should they?

I have a preference to buy local, more so with food, but electrical goods - do we make any?

My washing machine is a Holme, cheap Asda brand - Vestel products with some that may have come from China.

One tends to buy anything that has a Royal Warrant. If it's good enough for Her Majesty..... :)

Have a look at the list of companies with a RW. It's enormous and covers just about anything you might need to buy, from flannels and knickers to champagne and cars. I can't remember the company name, but there is one that makes lawnmowers so I assume they make strimmers.

Clarify buy cheap though?

To me cheap is how much i can afford to loose/waste.

Why would it be lose or waste? If you're buying something because you need it, then it's not a waste, and if you buy quality then there's no reason it should fail.

I've recently bought and had installed a cctv system for under £200 with a hd that will save everything for about 6 months.Full access via a website etc etc

An alarm engineer on here claimed they were crap and waffled on about all sorts of stuff(that may be important to some) but wasn't to me.I didn't want to pay £200 never mind £1000's.

And if it fails after a year, you've lost £200, which might or might not be a big deal to you.

But if the security were really important and any downtime was a big issue, you might prefer to pay several thousand and have a system that came with a better reputation for reliability.

One tends to buy anything that has a Royal Warrant. If it's good enough for Her Majesty..... :)

I can't remember the company name, but there is one that makes lawnmowers so I assume they make strimmers.

Atco (then subsidiary of Robert Bosch GmbH) - Lawn mowers

Atco have been manufacturing fine quality mowers for the lawns of Great Britain since 1921 and have earned an enviable reputation for outstanding quality.

They sell a nice 108cm Lawn Tractor for £1,799.00, maybe next year ;)

Briggs and Stratton made in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, United States; is our Monarchy supporting foreign companies?

Edited by El Cid

Why would it be lose or waste? If you're buying something because you need it, then it's not a waste, and if you buy quality then there's no reason it should fail.

And if it fails after a year, you've lost £200, which might or might not be a big deal to you.

But if the security were really important and any downtime was a big issue, you might prefer to pay several thousand and have a system that came with a better reputation for reliability.

You're probably right -but do i need it now or want it now. Will i need it in 5 years, will i still want a branded tv that has been superceded?

On a domestic front for example - do i need to pay £30 a metre for carpet that will be changed in 2 years when we redecorate.

Re: the cctv - £200 wouldn't be a big loss BUT it was installed by a well known alarm company employee - out of hours - based on his recommendations. Now if his company are fitting the same thing with an extra nought on it,where's the difference (in this case) and he's contactable and warrantied it.

tbh i didn't want the cctv and security isn't an issue.

As i often extol in my daily work "some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing".

I bought an expensive TV nearly a decade ago, I've only just updated it and it's been relegated to 2nd place. My parents on the other hand tend to buy something costing a fifth of the price, but need to replace it every 2 years and the picture is never as good as mine.

Planned/expected lifespan and obsolescence needs to be thought about I agree. If you think the carpet will only stay for 2 years, don't spend a lot.

For me its down to how much I can afford. One top tip I have is if you trade with a business regularly ( this doesn't applie to mainstream retailers more family run traders) its possible to negotiate a price for an item. Where I am we have a market so its possible to see which is the best for food or items I don't have an issue with buying second hand unless its clothing or for hygiene reasons. So basically its down to price with me.