Has honours lists become a farce?

Once again it looks like the award of honours have been hijacked by the cronies of a Prime minister.Is it time to scrap this farce?

Hijacked? Odd word to use.

No worse than Tony Blair.

I see no need to scrap it. If David Beckham has an MBE or some Tory Party donor gets knighted I think, 'oh, so what who cares?' But if Dorris down the street got an OBE I'd tend to think she deserved it and good for her. Normal people get them too.

I see no need to scrap it. If David Beckham has an MBE or some Tory Party donor gets knighted I think, 'oh, so what who cares?' But if Dorris down the street got an OBE I'd tend to think she deserved it and good for her. Normal people get them too.

I always thought honours were for people who had gone the extra mile serving their communities or charities (like David Beckham)and not just because they perm your wife's hair or have given a hand out to political a political party.As for Blair who could be worse than Blair?A watered down tory.

The simple answer should be, who gives a damn. It's simply is a farce.

But in reality, all the PM's have "rewarded" their friends and of course their Party's bank-rollers. With a few millionaire "celebrities" thrown in for good measure.

Angel1.

They should cancel the retiring PM's list and just stick to the annual one After all why does a PM need one when they retire? What next? The PM's going on holiday honours list? the PM's gone to the toilet list?

Gone to the toilet list would be fitting after all they do seem to come out with a lot of ---- now what is the word I am looking for?

My thoughts exactly. YES, it is nothing more than a glad handing exercise for ex politicians and their friends and YES it is a farce. But, lets not pretend that this is just a Cameron thing here. Just because Tom Watson and "Dianne Abbot" say so.

The fact is they ALL do the same. I have no doubt that if Compo Corbyn got into power he would do exactly what cameron did. Filling the list with union big wigs and leftie celebrities to boost his popularity.

The simple answer should be, who gives a damn. It's simply is a farce.

But in reality, all the PM's have "rewarded" their friends and of course their Party's bank-rollers. With a few millionaire "celebrities" thrown in for good measure.

Angel1.

As you say, it's a farce, who gives a damn about the knighthoods and minor honours, but when it comes to elevating them to the House of Lords then it becomes serious.they then have powers to block legislation proposed by an elected government.

As you say, it's a farce, who gives a damn about the knighthoods and minor honours, but when it comes to elevating them to the House of Lords then it becomes serious.they then have powers to block legislation proposed by an elected government.

Well, not really. The government can and have ignored the Lords using Parliament Acts. Labour did it when the Lords blocked lowering the age of consent for gay people.

Edited by Morphed

Simple answer to petcharlie ...? Yes , the honours system and entire House of Lords system needs revising. Not picking on anyone in particular but what has Floella Benjamin, formerly Playschool presenter, done to justify a £300 attendance allowance per day? Nice freebie if you brown-nose to the right people...?

Wish I got £300 a day just for turning up for work!