Bank of England Madness

Okay, so I'd got it correct when I said that the PM could reduce the rate to 15% if desired.

---------- Post added 16-08-2016 at 10:22 ----------

Already discussed: BoE backed infrastructure investment, helicopter money, or at the very least robust policing of how QE money is used by the banks.

The most recently announced QE is in the large majority a purchase of government bonds.

The EU mandates three levels of VAT: a "standard" rate, which has to be at least 15%; a "reduced" rate on certain specified things, which has to be at least 5%; and 0% (or above) on certain other specified exemptions.

See here.

The UK charged 0% VAT on domestic fuel bills in 1991, the Conservative government introduced a VAT rate of 8% in 1993. This was later lowered to 5% under Labour.

This talk of the EU stopping Government doing things is rubbish, it is just an excuse.

The UK charged 0% VAT on domestic fuel bills in 1991, the Conservative government introduced a VAT rate of 8% in 1993. This was later lowered to 5% under Labour.

This talk of the EU stopping Government doing things is rubbish, it is just an excuse.

Really not. In the specific case you refer to, pressure was likely applied to get VAT on domestic fuel. And the rules say that once it's there it can't be removed, or lowered below a certain rate.

Just wait a bit. When we leave the EU these things will shake out.

Edited by unbeliever

Really not. In the specific case you refer to, pressure was likely applied to get VAT on domestic fuel. And the rules say that once it's there it can't be removed, or lowered below a certain rate.

Just wait a bit. When we leave the EU these things will shake out.

I give you a specific example and you still give a wishy washy reply :loopy:

I give you a specific example and you still give a wishy washy reply :loopy:

If you say so.

The reality is that there are strict constraints on VAT rates for EU members.

This will not be our problem for very long though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

What exactly do you think will shake out? We already have a general VAT rate higher than the minimum demanded by our EU membership. So the EU is not keeping it at 20%, it could be lowered to 15% today.

You reckon VAT will be reduced?

The VAT rate went up to raise revenue. It's one of the few taxes that was comfortably below the peak of the Laffer curve. This is my opinion anyway. I have no doubt that there will be others.

It's also a consumption tax which therefore encourages saving over spending at a time when saving is being discouraged in almost every other way.

It would however be nice to reduce VAT in a few keys areas which are not, in any meaningful way, luxuries. Energy is much more expensive now, than it was when VAT was first applied to domestic energy. I think there is a majority in parliament for removing VAT from domestic energy. Also, rather famously by now, tampons; which are not really luxuries.

VAT is often criticised as regressive. I agree that it is less progressive than income tax. I've been a vocal critic of it myself. But I think we can agree that it could be made more progressive by reducing and removing it from more items which in the modern world we do not consider luxuries.