The Sportsman Inn, Totley Road mystery.

Hi all,

I've been trying to find out , for some time where the Sportsman Inn, Totley Road stood. I don't think it exists anymore unless the name has changed. Also Totley Road must have had a name change as well. On the 1861 census for Dore it is shown to be near School Green Lane, Totley Road and Townhead. My wifes 3xgt Grandfather James Ellis was the licencee.

Can anyone help?

Thanks handypandy, I know the one at Redmires which is not the one. The thinking at this moment in time is that it could have changed name to the Cricketers, which is down the lane behind the Cross Scythes that eventually leads to Dore.

Thanks for the link to the Totley History Group, that will be my next avenue to try.

Alan

I've had a quick look in the Definitive A-Z listing of Sheffield Public Houses, and no Sportsman seem to be up there. The only road name I don't recognise off hand is 23 Oak St.

The listing for Cricket Inn mentions nothing of being once called Sportsman.

This says in short that it was an old farmhouse first licensed to sell alcohol in 1889 this mostly to bolster the Irish navvies whol built the nearby Totley tunnel.

-

You mentioned School Green Lane which (one of which now) is in fulwood, so the Redmires is close, but if you say it isn't that one, then it isn't.

Thanks Ash,

So the Cricket Inn is definitely out, could there have been a Totley Road at Redmires? and would Redmires be on a Dore census. I hadn't given this much thought until now so I will begin to broaden my search.

Alan.

Thanks Ash,

So the Cricket Inn is definitely out, could there have been a Totley Road at Redmires? and would Redmires be on a Dore census. I hadn't given this much thought until now so I will begin to broaden my search.

Alan.

Well according to my book it's out, but I thought later it could be the Crown up there, but just looking that up now, and it looks like it's been the Crown since 1727. Says : Transformed from 3 cottages on land owned by Lord Middleton who was then Lord of the Manor of Totley.

edit: However, I thought of another one up there (no longer), this could be it:

I'll type it out as might be some use:

Fleur de Lys Totley Hall Lane,

Literally means lily-flower, but a heraldic lily meant rather than a real one. When Edward III assumed the title of King of France we the English incorporated the Fleur de Lys into our coat of arms where it has since remained. There has been an inn on this site for hundreds of years, but the present building is not the original.

-

Could be this one under a different name?

-

I wouldn't have thought Dore on Redmires census, but can't be sure. In 1861 there wasn't much about in the suburbs so some possibility for for incorporating different areas perhaps.

---------- Post added 05-08-2016 at 21:17 ----------

also in case anyone mentions the Cross Scythes, it seems that was always called this too. (Well over 300 hundred years ago this inn was first opened by a farmer and scythe maker called Samuel Hopkinson, and was so named because scythes were made in the area.

It also served as a church for 8 years until one was built in the area.

(all from Liversidge A-Z Pubs in Sheff)

---------- Post added 05-08-2016 at 21:29 ----------

I wouldn't have thought Dore on Redmires census, but can't be sure. In 1861 there wasn't much about in the suburbs so some possibility for for incorporating different areas perhaps.

Actually scrap that having looked at how vague the 1861 census is! :hihi: Could well be the same! Is it the listing that shows Ecclesall, Sheffield? If so, that's half way between both, so could be.

Are you positive it isn't the Redmires one?

Hi Ash,

I'm not positive any more that it is not the Redmires Inn, but it could be the Fleur-de Lys as you suggest. If it changed names and the lane was once Totley Road, then it could be the one. I will continue to look into the possibility. I have also sent an email to DoreVillage.com history experts to see if they can come up with anything.

Thanks again Ash for your time.

Hi Ash,

I'm not positive any more that it is not the Redmires Inn, but it could be the Fleur-de Lys as you suggest. If it changed names and the lane was once Totley Road, then it could be the one. I will continue to look into the possibility. I have also sent an email to DoreVillage.com history experts to see if they can come up with anything.

Thanks again Ash for your time.

No problem. Let us know what you find out.

I think it could be the Cricket Inn as on the 1883 ORDANACE SURVEY MAP which was surveyed 1873-1874 it quite clearly states the Cricket Inn . The only other public houses in Dore on there are The Devonshire Arms and The Hare and Hounds . The Devonshire Arms is on the 1861 census