The Sportsman Inn, Totley Road mystery.

I know - is it being demolished or redeveloped ?

Looking the the Totley History website there has been an inn on that site a few times in the past - maybe one time it was the Sportsman the OP is trying to locate ?

I have searched the newspapers on FMP but found nothing on the Sportsman Inn

at Dore/Totley.

In 1851, James and the family are living at Little Common, Ecclesall.

According to the Sheffield History site, public house section, a White's Directory

for 1852 has James Ellis, woodman and Vict. the landlord of the Rising Sun,

Little Common (now Abbey Lane), Ecclesall. He is there until 1859 when the license

is taken over by a George Thorpe.

Prior to the above, an 1849 directory has Thomas Ellis, woodman and Vict.,

at the Rising Sun, Little Common.

I don't know if you have this information but James and Hannah are both buried

in All Saints Church,Ecclesall.

James was 82, buried 5 May 1893 and Hannah was 84, buried 4 Oct 1892.

Both of South View, Dore.

Thanks Moira,

We have been to the Rising Sun a few times ( nice grub ) James's name is on the wall along with other past landlords. He and Hannah are buried in Dore as you say, but I can not find a headstone.

Going back to the Sportsman Inn it could have been on the site of the Fleur de Lys as suggested, but I do not think it could have been the Cricketers as it was not given a licence to sell liquor until 1889.

A great big thankyou to everyone's suggestions, they are most welcome.

Just as a footnote, very many people were buried without a headstone - many just couldn't afford it and may have put up a simple wooden cross which has since rotted away.

I have been disappointed by this on many occasions when researching my family but if the grave place is logged on a cemetery or churchyard map it is possible to pace out the possible place where your ancestors are interred.

Good luck

If I have the right James and Hannah, they are buried in Ecclesall Churchyard, not Dore.

There is a transcription of the MI's for Ecclesall Church at Sheffield Archives.

I think All Saints Chruch and Ecclesall Church are the same thing. I'm thinking of the one at the bottom of Ringinglow Road.

edit: sorry I didn't see the post in the middle!

Having looked at the Census for 1861 it says that it includes the area that is still the Dore side of Totley Brook, so I would think it unlikely it is the Fleur de Leys. The Devonshire Arms is listed in the census for Dore but not the Hare and Hounds, even though it was in existence then, and it also looks like a lot of the road/place names were added to the Census, rather than at the time of writing ? A lot of the places in the census do not exist but it is obvious where they refer to - School Green Lane is one of the roads around the old school which is across from the village green, so maybe the person who wrote in Totley Road was referring to what is now Church Lane which leads onto Oldhay Lane and up to Totley ?

Many thanks everyone for your time. I think Lobster and Woomot have put me back on the track I was on originally. If the Cricketers was licenced before 1871-73, then it makes sense that it may have been the Sportsmans Inn as it is on the road from Dore to Totley and probably called the Totley road by locals. Also there is the sportsfield there. I have so much information to digest now - this is a great tool for finding things out.

---------- Post added 08-08-2016 at 15:58 ----------

Back to the drawing board! it's not the Cricket Inn. It started life as a farmhouse in 1865, so couldn't have been the Sportsman Inn on the 1861 census.

Edited by AlanLadd

Hi Alan not sure if this hinders or helps you,on an old o/s map there a green oak inn about where mickley lane joins the main about where abbeydale park is,the area aroun there appears to be called green oak in the present day presumably after the inn off that name that stood there.

Bye for now,

or-b-son.