The Sportsman Inn, Totley Road mystery.

Hi Alan,

In an book I have called 'The old days in Dore', published in 1988. It is based on

the diary made by Joseph Hancock of Dore, 1819-1896 and edited by Roy Bullen

In it there is a small section on public houses.

It mentions the Devonshire Arms which started out as a beer house.

Then, "The Hare and Hounds is the oldest present public house. There was one

opposite, but on its being bought by the owner of the Hare and Hounds, the

Licence attached was discontinued". No date given.

Moira.

Thanks or-b- son, any info at this stage is helpful and never a hindrance. The bottom of Mickley Lane area could come under Dore census area, I will keep the Green Oak pub in mind.

---------- Post added 08-08-2016 at 22:47 ----------

Thanks again Moira, you are a mind of information! I need to know the name of that pub opp the Hare and Hounds, it's in the right area I think.

Edited by AlanLadd

Hi Alan not sure if this hinders or helps you,on an old o/s map there a green oak inn about where mickley lane joins the main about where abbeydale park is,the area aroun there appears to be called green oak in the present day presumably after the inn off that name that stood there.

Bye for now,

or-b-son.

I can see Green Oak House, is that the one you mean?

Link here (use the left hand overlay thing to compare now/then)

Hi Ash, I've been prompted to look at the Green Oak Inn at the bottom of Mickley Lane where it meets the main road. I must confess I know nothing about it.

---------- Post added 09-08-2016 at 23:06 ----------

For anyone who may still be interested I think I have just cracked it. According to the Directory & Topography of Sheffield 1862 ( page 714 Dore ) it says James Ellis vict., Hare & Hounds. The enumerator must have entered down the wrong information on the 1861 census, which was not unusual for the time. I don't think there ever was a Sportsman Inn in Dore/Totley, or a Totley Road!

If he only new the wasted hours he has caused me :rant:

Thanyou for all your help.