Nostalgia - a fond memory of Sheffield

I think I'm reaching a point in my life where Sheffield today seem far worse than I ever remember.

I'm only 47 neither old nor young. Mosborough village, a place I've lived my whole life has changed considerably. How I miss how it used to be before the Mosborough townships were built, how I miss Gleadless Townend before it was ruined by the Trams arrival....speaking of which City Road is now simply awful as to how I remember it prior "Tram". The Hole-In-The-Road, Rag Parade, Sheffield Show at Hillsborough Park. I look at Sheffield today and it's a disgusting place. No longer we see Road Sweepers, Hanging Baskets, newly painted railings. Just litter, dog mess, weeds, decay.......

What a cess pit!

Guest makapaka
I think I'm reaching a point in my life where Sheffield today seem far worse than I ever remember.

I'm only 47 neither old nor young. Mosborough village, a place I've lived my whole life has changed considerably. How I miss how it used to be before the Mosborough townships were built, how I miss Gleadless Townend before it was ruined by the Trams arrival....speaking of which City Road is now simply awful as to how I remember it prior "Tram". The Hole-In-The-Road, Rag Parade, Sheffield Show at Hillsborough Park. I look at Sheffield today and it's a disgusting place. No longer we see Road Sweepers, Hanging Baskets, newly painted railings. Just litter, dog mess, weeds, decay.......

What a cess pit!

Rose tinted glasses.....

What a cess pit!

Hey Mr Charlie - lighten up - you sound a bit low. Sheffield is not a cess pit and if you hanker for road sweepers - you should get out more - I see loads.

There's loads to love about Sheffield. Of course it's changed but so has everywhere. Great pubs, restaurants are much better than when I arrived here in the late 80s. Good theatres and reasonable choice of cinemas - couple of decent galleries. As for green spaces and trees - they're everywhere!

Come on Charlie - get out a bit and see the good in your brilliant home city.

:D

Hey Mr Charlie - lighten up - you sound a bit low. Sheffield is not a cess pit and if you hanker for road sweepers - you should get out more - I see loads.

There's loads to love about Sheffield. Of course it's changed but so has everywhere. Great pubs, restaurants are much better than when I arrived here in the late 80s. Good theatres and reasonable choice of cinemas - couple of decent galleries. As for green spaces and trees - they're everywhere!

Come on Charlie - get out a bit and see the good in your brilliant home city.

:D

Not to mention the lovely Winter Garden right in the city centre!

I don't agree that Sheffield is a cess pit its like every other town or city its got its best bits and rough bits. I doubt the much vaunted Hole in the Road would still be with us now even if the Supertram hadn't been built the cost of upkeep and security issues would have seen to that. Yes perhaps more should have been saved buildings wise but again the same could be said about other UK cities. Yes they could be room for improvement but on the hole the city its not that bad like IV said before any city is a work in progress.

Guest makapaka

If your 47 - that means you lived your 20's in the 1990's, and your teenage years in the 1980's.

I don't recall this utopian version of Sheffield you're talking about - far from it.

Society may have changed but as a city there have been massive improvements since those decades.