Nostalgia - a fond memory of Sheffield

Hard to believe someone is missing the un-mourned for Hole in the Road. I remember Sheffield as a bit of a tip in those days. Today it has great outdoor spaces, good theatres, the Showroom, eateries - stuff to do on a Saturday night that does not involve sinking enormous quantities of beer. OK - the shops are horrible, but Meadowhall is the cause of that, and many of us are shopping online anyway.

Born n bred in Sheffield and proud of it. Love my City. I loved the Hole in the Road, the Classic cinema, Odeon, Gaumont, everything about it then....and now. Lovely happy memories and hopefully lots more to come

Why not? Anything is possible, can be either way.

True. I can remember the city back in the 50s/60s and if you were a m/cyclist/ motorist these were the glory days- no cameras, speed traps, hardly any yellow lines, park almost anywhere in the city and your vehicle was usually there when you returned! The police had black Wolseley 6/99s, Morris Minors, Hillman Huskys, the bikes were Ariel Leader 250cc and Velocette LE noddy bikes.

On Sundays the roads in the city were quiet and largely empty. Insurance wasn't an issue, even for 18yr olds. The down side was that not many could afford a s/hand car, never mind a new one!

True. I can remember the city back in the 50s/60s and if you were a m/cyclist/ motorist these were the glory days- no cameras, speed traps, hardly any yellow lines, park almost anywhere in the city and your vehicle was usually there when you returned! The police had black Wolseley 6/99s, Morris Minors, Hillman Huskys, the bikes were Ariel Leader 250cc and Velocette LE noddy bikes.

On Sundays the roads in the city were quiet and largely empty. Insurance wasn't an issue, even for 18yr olds. The down side was that not many could afford a s/hand car, never mind a new one!

And this is exactly why glorifying the past is senseless. people forget how much more they can afford now. People forget the draughty houses, poor plumbing, non-existent heating...

I grew up in the 80s/90s and loved our old house. But recently I had a chat with my dad about that house and the problems it had. It was from the 17th century, had some damp issues that meant we all had a permanent cold/bronchitis from September to May, single glazing, so when it dipped below 0 celsius you'd wake up to frosted windows INSIDE, I was never really aware of the fact that five doors down was a notorious bar that attracted biker gangs, most of whom were involved with criminal practice.

I thought my primary school was excellent, turned out that during the years I was there it was under constant supervision due to performing poorly... Similarly as a kid I thought it was great that we had a fun fair in the street twice a year, I forgot that my dad got in a fight with a drunk lout urinating on our front door and our windows once got smashed in the middle of the night by a couple of drunks fighting...

People naturally tend to gloss over the negative memories and highlight the positives, it is part of our cognitive coping strategy, unfortunately, for those not aware of that effect it means that modern day society is terrible, because everything in the past was better. It wasn't, it was different.

I used to know some people who lived in USA most their live and decided to come back to England after retirement.

They raced back to USA after short time saying England is not what they remember it to be.

People live dream fantasy lives thinking about the past that does not exist anymore and hoping for a future that will never come because when it does it will always come in the form of today.

Seem to remember that there was a lot more dog mess in the seventies. No bins or poo bags in those days!

The dog dirt in the seventies was the colour white and more pleasing to the eye than todays tin fed stuff hanging in plastic bags from trees and bushes.

like many things some are better as in medical knowledge and a person worked and didn't need government top up to pay there bills,but then you had quieter roads and the pace of life was slower,but the funfairs,galas,festivals are for many the same as in the past ,just a few new rides added which has always been the case,and don't forget that we wouldn't be able to offer 2/300 vehicles at classic vehicle shows in those days like we do at lowedges and all over England,so good and bad as its always been.