Rio Olympics 2016

tzijlstra

Nikki Hamblin, the NZ runner who stopped to help when American Abbey D'Agostino fell during the 5000m is being awarded a special medal.

The Pierre de Coubertin medal, otherwise known as the International Fair Play Committee Award, the medal has only been awarded 17 times in Olympic history.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/21/nikki-hamblin-awarded-rare-olympic-medal-following-touching-show/?WTmcid=tmgoff_soc_spf_fb&WT.mc_id=sf33951560

well the Rio games are finished and we ended up in second place, the US only ahead of us ! 67 medals and more golds and silvers than the Chinese, which is what I was hoping for.

This result really gets the UK to the top of the sporting pages of the world. And the athletes were absolutely brilliant. Instead of the politicos getting the knighthoods, those athletes with gold should get them !!!

Finally, they have an accountable system that works and is financed by the lottery. They now need to see how this can be transformed to the English FA so we can get the same results !

---------- Post added 24-08-2016 at 11:39 ----------

Not sure how many Forum readers have seen the articles, but I am seeing reports of many Chinese weightlifters (12) failing drugs tests. There are also lifters from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine etc involved. They were retests, and some were past medalists, some were not. Some medals look like they could be withdrawn. None, as yet anyway, pertain to tests for the 2016 games

I hope this is not a replay of "Russian state supported doping," but that is possible. We may soon find out