State schooling Vs religious schooling.

I have known Catholics who have suddenly found their faith again when it comes to getting kids into school time.

That faith can often dim when they realise that two bus journeys are involved along with a couple of hours travelling to the opposite side of the city every day.

Yes this was the case with my sister in law. She got married in a church and had her kids christened. I asked her why she had them christened and her response was that they could get married in a church if they want to when they were older.

With one of the Christenings she even forgot which Church it was at (all 3 got christened at different churches and I suspect the 4th will be at a different church again), yet wanted to get her children into a C of E School. Funny how religious people are when they think it will get their children into a good school.

It actually offensive in my opinion because it is taking the mick out of people who really are religious.

Err no. Leave independent schools out of this please. We're happy as we are doing our thing. No interest in state control thanks.

Academy trust schools are no better than ones run by local councils when it comes to raising standards, a major study has found.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/academy-trust-schools-among-the-worst-at-raising-pupil-performance-new-research-shows-a7124651.html

RE should of course continue to be taught in schools. It's essential that children understand the belief systems which shape history and modern society. It's a great arena in which to get children thing about behaviour, the concepts of good/bad, right/wrong, to foster critical thinking skills and so much more.

Its religion which causes 99% of the conflicts around the world. Schools should not be brainwashing kids into believing the cobblers and garbage written in religious comics is true.

Let kids grow up and form their own opinions , not force feed them religious claptrap.

Religion has no place in modern society , nor has it got a place in education

Its religion which causes 99% of the conflicts around the world. Schools should not be brainwashing kids into believing the cobblers and garbage written in religious comics is true.

Let kids grow up and form their own opinions , not force feed them religious claptrap.

This keeps dropping up in all these sort of debates.

Religious Education in your average school has nothing to do with 'brainwashing', but to do with educating students about what the followers of various religions believe in and what makes them tick.

Without such knowledge you have no chance of trying to resolve the conflicts of today caused by differences of belief.

Religious Education as such should remain a core subject.

With regard to faith schools, the non-curriculum religion in All Saints Catholic High School today is less than that experienced in the typical non-faith state school of 40 years ago.

Utter rubbish- saying that and wanting it to be true won't win anyone over except for your self satisfaction.

Why don't you back it up if you have evidence to show 99% of conflicts are religious based.

The Encyclopedia of Wars (google it) carried out an extensive study in which it looked at 1,763 wars throughout human history. It names just 123 as ‘religious in nature’ – a little under 7%.

Also Robert Pape's Dying to Win is another good read- evidently showing that wars are mainly caused by political issues- NOT religion.

But hey, if you atheists feel happy in believing the outdated cliches that has been long been used by likes of you- carry on if it helps you sleep better.

Academy trust schools are no better than ones run by local councils when it comes to raising standards, a major study has found.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/academy-trust-schools-among-the-worst-at-raising-pupil-performance-new-research-shows-a7124651.html

I mean independent (or private as people may prefer). The post I was quoting suggested putting them in state control which would take away the point entirely.

I suppose RE should be taught in schools but in a non-partisan way. A case for & against each religion should be made in as fair a way as possible. Perhaps then pupils would see that there is no clear-cut reason for adopting any religion.

I suppose RE should be taught in schools but in a non-partisan way. A case for & against each religion should be made in as fair a way as possible. Perhaps then pupils would see that there is no clear-cut reason for adopting any religion.

Which is how RE IS taught in the English schools curriculum.

It really depends on what the school is teaching. Religion in itself is just a way of life in search of immortality and it doesn't matter if unbelievers don't care about immortality but it does matter if believers care more about the afterlife than their current life. That sort of thinking distorts everything that they do in this life. If they are teaching about the past as a way of improving the future we should understand what kind of future the teachers are aiming for. Different religious groups have different visions of the future so we have to collectively decide if we want that as a democracy.

Personally I don't want any state sponsored religious schools and I think that privately funded schools should be very heavily regulated and continuously monitored for content and the people involved.

Jukes x