State schooling Vs religious schooling.

I didn't know that. I assumed the major religions' history & practices were described but in a but in a non-critical way.

Yes this is what I remember from RE not what cgksheff describes. I remember no cases be made for each religion just an outline of their practices etc. I wonder if cgksheff can point to evidence of how RE is taught?

I read this from the gov.uk website;

"Religious education

Schools have to teach RE but parents can withdraw their children for all or part of the lessons. Pupils can choose to withdraw themselves once they’re 18.

Local councils are responsible for deciding the RE syllabus, but faith schools and academies can set their own."

So there is no set way of teaching RE, I read it that faith schools and academies, if they wish, could just decided to only teach one religion - which seems wrong to me.

I wonder does any know what the syllabus is for Sheffield?

I am all for RE being taught in schools as it creates a better understand of others beliefs and it also ties in with history.

Yes this is what I remember from RE not what cgksheff describes. I remember no cases be made for each religion just an outline of their practices etc. I wonder if cgksheff can point to evidence of how RE is taught?

I read this from the gov.uk website;

"Religious education

Schools have to teach RE but parents can withdraw their children for all or part of the lessons. Pupils can choose to withdraw themselves once they’re 18.

Local councils are responsible for deciding the RE syllabus, but faith schools and academies can set their own."

So there is no set way of teaching RE, I read it that faith schools and academies, if they wish, could just decided to only teach one religion - which seems wrong to me.

I wonder does any know what the syllabus is for Sheffield?

I am all for RE being taught in schools as it creates a better understand of others beliefs and it also ties in with history.

I used to withdraw myself from RE at school from the age of 12 and go down the park for an hour until the brainwashing garbage had finished. I never once went to an RE lesson

Err no. Leave independent schools out of this please. We're happy as we are doing our thing. No interest in state control thanks.

most of the up and coming religious schools are privately owned.. only way to put a stop to such schools in the future is to make all schools state owned.

unless ofcourse you'd prefer religious schools and madrasses of all varietys popping up across che country.

under state system more religious based schools (ie RC Schools) have closed over the past 15 years

the best schools are always, where house prices are highest, take tapton for example, the 6th form got 5 kids to Cambridge and oxford this year.

Nonsense the schools are equal

Schools in the most deprived areas of Sheffield were rated as outstanding

Nonsense the schools are equal

Schools in the most deprived areas of Sheffield were rated as outstanding

That does not mean that they are the best schools, my daughter went to an 'outstanding' school; but the school a couple of miles away has better results.