Motor bike and sidecar

i had a bike and sidecar in the 70's a cossack 650 looked like a german ww2 bike...later on in the 80's having got married,2 kids i came across a honda 550 fitted with a squire sidecar and only having a bike licence i bought it,great for taking the wife and kids out in, and shopping...i can remember a few my mates were going to a bike rally near stratford upon avon,so i said i would go.my mate had just broke his arm in a bike accident so i agreed to take him along with 5 tents, a few cases of beer and so on..we set off from deepcar m1 we got near nottingham and it was raining heavy,i looked across at my mate in the sidecar,he was reading the newspaper with a tin of lager in his hand,ye i know

In the early 40's my Dad had a Panther 600 & sidecar.We used it to go to Blackpool once, me on the pillion, Mam & little brother in the sidecar. My memory of the trip was, it seemed endless & it was b....y wet & cold. Put me off motor bikes for the rest of my life.

I have just bought a bike and sidecar, it's a Honda Deauville with a Squire box fitted. I wanted to get back into biking after a 30 year break but due to arthritis I can't manage a solo machine. The bloke I bought it from has customised the box so he could get his two border collies in it. It has two windscreens and two holes with fitted lids. I've got a couple of pics not very good ones though.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/3dogman/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20160806_20_57_57_Pro.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/3dogman/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20160813_12_15_05_Pro.jpg

I have never rode an outfit before and it's weird driving one, I had to fetch the bike from Bedford near Northampton 124 miles away. After 30 mins learning I was belting back up the M1 at 70 mph crackers I know.

Edited by 3dogman

In the early 40's my Dad had a Panther 600 & sidecar.We used it to go to Blackpool once, me on the pillion, Mam & little brother in the sidecar. My memory of the trip was, it seemed endless & it was b....y wet & cold. Put me off motor bikes for the rest of my life.

A lot of my mates had bikes.

On a cold winters day I was offered a ride home from Steelo's, up Prince of Wales Road. It was snowing so I said no.

On second thoughts I jumped on to Cliff Fletcher's bike.

Sure enough on one of those wide bends the back end slipped out and we went sprawling. A lorry just missed me on the road as I scrambled to the side.

Stupid me got back on and got off at Manor Top.

That was the last time ever I was on a motorbike.

I have just bought a bike and sidecar, it's a Honda Deauville with a Squire box fitted. I wanted to get back into biking after a 30 year break but due to arthritis I can't manage a solo machine. The bloke I bought it from has customised the box so he could get his two border collies in it. It has two windscreens and two holes with fitted lids. I've got a couple of pics not very good ones though.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/3dogman/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20160806_20_57_57_Pro.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/3dogman/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20160813_12_15_05_Pro.jpg

I have never rode an outfit before and it's weird driving one, I had to fetch the bike from Bedford near Northampton 124 miles away. After 30 mins learning I was belting back up the M1 at 70 mph crackers I know.

That outfit looks very smart.. a real head turner... it'd look a real wheeze with two dogs sat there peering out... nice one.... 'Happy biking'

In the late 50s my dad owned a maroon Royal Enfield (reg no OWB 664) attached to what I believe was a Busmar Astral sidecar. Riding in the sidecar war a horrific experience if I'm honest. Mom wasn't too chuffed about being on the pillion either to be quite honest. Dad wore a leather flying jacket and a WW2 army crash helmet. Mom, poor lass, had to make do with a heavy woollen overcoat. When it rained she doubled in weight.

The sidecar was black and I remember it had a sort of coat-of-arms on the door.

• 5 months later...

I went from Leicester to Skeggy in my friends Dads side car, she was on the back of the bike, we was about 14 at the time, it would have bin mid 1950's ,it seemed like ages to get there, and then we had to get back as well, I can't ever remember being in a side car again..It was an experience though..