Outside security cameras

I use a number of IP cams. IP cams basically link up to your home broadband router and can be wired or WiFi.

I use Axis on the car and watching the church roof next door for lead thieves and internally watching doors and windows. Admittedly they are quite expensive models and I could now buy cheaper and better but Ive had them for about 10 years.

I have a cheap dlink camera to keep an eye on the dog.

I use Panasonic camera manager to store and retrieve footage but I really could just knock up my own storage using an old PC as a server.

Everything is accessible via my mobile as well.

I did find out is that security lights can play havoc with the image after dark when we were trying to identify a couple of intruders on next doors shed.

If I was a professional installer rather than a home tinkerer I would have realised that and placed the camera in a different spot.

My next upgrade would be power over Ethernet so that I only have to run a single wire when I upgrade the outside cameras.

This site will give you an idea of what is it out there

http://www.networkwebcams.co.uk/

Then there are various rules about signage you have to put up, particularly if your cameras can view see the public road /pavement

I have had a Swann system for at least 4 or 5 years now, and have had no issues at all.

I have at least 6 friends who have also used Swann, with only 1 having an issue with a failed Hard Drive, which was replaced with minimum fuss.

For around £250 to £350, they can be very economical to the average household, they are also very easy to fit and run.

2016-08-09%201.png