The Retreat Cafe, Ecclesall Road

Just wondered if anyone remembers this place. It was frequented by some greasers, or Blue Angels as I think they liked to be called. Used to be quite a bit of trouble there I think in those days and eventually it closed down. The Angels moved over to the New Inn at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd (no longer there).

After some time had elapsed it was bought by another guy who re-opened it. He was a bit half hearted about it though and sometimes he would not bother opening it. Over a period of time he got to trust me enough to open up and run it on his behalf.

What is it now?

To be honest I don't know. It was down towards the bottom end past Summerfield Street on the right going towards town. I'm not even sure I could work it out if I drove down there now.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondered if anyone remembers this place. It was frequented by some greasers, or Blue Angels as I think they liked to be called.

The Blue Angels were a chapter of a motorcycle club from Glasgow.They are still going ,but are now based in Leeds

Its not there any more knocked down years ago went in the place myself great times .What names do you remember.

I used to go during its 'second coming'. Many of the names I remember ended in 'o', eg Jacko, Robbo, Stevo etc. Then there was Phil Booth, Paul Armitage, 2 Yan's (Lowendowski [sp] & Sawicki) and myself of course. I was going out with a lass named Barbara at the time.

Can't recall any names from the original lads that went in. Some of them had cut off denim jackets and one was tall and slim with ginger hair - bought some gear off him many moons ago, but that was when he frequented the New Inn.

Who do you know from back then?

Cheers, Jass

Jackie, Teresa Gray,Neil Wakeman,The mighty atom, Dave Humberstone,Jean Kelly,Chris Mulcrone,Lorna Bailey,to name a few. This was also from the second coming. Cathy

'Fraid I don't know any of these names. Did Chris have a brother named Terry? Perhaps it was the 'third coming' for us then. It would have been the early 70's when we frequented the place. What era were you there?

Cheers, Jass

Archived