Local genealogy

I've been told that the records for Gleadless Methodist Church were sent t the Brunswick Methodist Church at the bottom of the Moor for safety before the war and were destroyed in the Blitz. However, I've recently seen a photo of the Moor showing the Brunswick Church still standing. Can anyone throw any light on this?

The Brunswick Chapel records are mentioned on the relevant Sheffield Indexers web page - scroll down to "Non-Conformist Baptism & Marriage Records" - "Brunswick Chapel South St Sheffield" (South Street being the old name for The Moor). The chapel building survived the war, though post-war directories no longer show it as a chapel. The building was occupied by J. Graham (Furnishers) Ltd until demolition in c. 1953.

Records for Brunswick chapel are deposited with Sheffield archives.

Brunswick Chapel, South Street, later the Moor (WM), and finally Brunswick Methodist Hall, Ellin Street

Baptisms 1837-1943 Reference NR 2323/1-2

Marriages 1843-1895 Reference NR 135

Marriages 1871-1899 Reference NR 136

Marriages 1899-1943 Reference SY 139/N29/6-11

Burials 1833-1855 Reference Acc 2005/131

You can download the archives guides from their website.

Hi

The Methodists worked on a circuit so it could be that the Gleadless records are incorporated in the Brunswick registers.

I have just transcribed Eckington Methodist registers and there are entries from Beighton and Handsworth .

Do you have any names that you are looking for as S&DFHS have just finished transcribing all the Non-conformist records and I have a copy.

The information I have on Gleadless non-conformist churches is as follows.

Gleadless Road Primitive Methodist Church, Heeley, Sheffield 2

This opened in 1858 in Sheaf St, which later remained Gleadless Road. It closed in 1897 when the congregation moved to Anns Rd Chapel. See Anns Rd Chapel for further details.

Gleadless Valley Methodist Church, Blackstock Rd, Sheffield 14.

This chapel was erected in 1961. (Original records at Sheffield archives)

Gleadless Wensleyan Chapel.

This chapel was renovated and reopened in 1915. It was on the Surrey Street Circuit and subsequently the South Circuit. (Original records at Sheffield Archives)