Wolf tools on Trippet Lane.

Texas

I suppose it doesn't exist now, but years ago, at least until the 50's, the building at the corner of West St and Trippet Lane was a show room for Wolf Tools. It was full of machinery of various shapes and sizes,a lot of drills I remember. Anybody remember this? You don't see Wolf Drills anymore so I guess the company has been taken over. But what one does see are Wolf gardening tools, high class kit for the keen gardener. I wonder if there is any connection.

My dad's first electric drill was a Wolf, before Black & Decker became popular. I also seem to recall seeing Wolf tools on display in the window of Needham Engineering Ltd. - perhaps they were the main local agents. West Street doesn't actually join Trippet Lane; Needham's was at the top of Townhead Street on the corner of Pinfold Street - arrowed on this map. According to a contributor to this woodwork forum (post #10 in the thread) Wolf was purchased by Kango Tools Ltd. of Peterborough.

Edited by hillsbro

My dad's first electric drill was a Wolf, before Black & Decker became popular. I also seem to recall seeing Wolf tools on display in the window of Needham Engineering Ltd. - perhaps they were the main local agents. West Street doesn't actually join Trippet Lane; Needham's was at the top of Townhead Street on the corner of Pinfold Street - arrowed on this map. According to a contributor to this woodwork forum (post #10 in the thread) Wolf was purchased by Kango Tools Ltd. of Peterborough.

Well that map brought a new one to me, 'Bow Street' that was at the bottom of West Street and ran to Leopold Street. Never new that existed. Well you learn on here. Thank you (again) Mr.H.

Yes, Bow Street isn't very well known. The name disappeared in 1928 when it became the lower part of West Street.

Yes Mr.H. I think the original London 'Bobbies'- Sir Robert Peel's outfit-were once the 'Bow Street Runners'.

Edited by stpetre
edit

In c. 1971 they moved to Hill Street, Highfield. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo of 1975.

Funny how these things go in circles.

On a visit back to Sheffield my sister took me for a sausage butty on that street.

When I was an apprentice at Wheelers in Paradise Square (John Wesley preached to a huge crowd from our middle stores window, with balcony, a hundred or so years ago)

We used to get all our electrical supplies, wholesale, for our stores at Needhams at Townhead.

After 6 months in the stores it was time to go out on the job, and I was seconded to Jim Keyworth lived on the Manor and who had a motorcycle and sidecar!

Edited by trastrick