Unplugging electrics overnight..

It should stop things from frying when switched off - embossed plastic can only do so much ;););)

I make sure the kettle is unplugged and some chargers are turned off. I get plenty on my Twitter feed from South Yorkshire fire service going on how we should turn off chargers etc or we will all burn in our beds. Wash mash etc all stays on - I couldn't tell you where the plug is for half of them!

True :) But seriously, the CE mark includes specifications for fire-risk when plugged in. The only exception (in opposition to Santo) is when there is a lighting storm, not because the equipment will catch fire, but the surge current could potentially kill your equipment. Had it once, killed the TV, VHS, two computers and their screens and a hi-fi set. The insurance coughed up fortunately, but it was rather annoying being without my computer for that long!

I leave all my things plugged in, but switched off at the wall.

If you have an outdoor tv aeriel, and it gets hit by lightning, the current needs to go to earth...

Or so I am led to understand.

Its still connected to earth via the plug and socket. Switching off doesn't disconnect the earth connection.

When I was a kid we had to switch off the TV and PC during a lightening storm. For no obvious reason whatever looking back.

The OP reminds me of the Michael McIntyre routine about unplugging everything when you go on holiday. Except the fridge: we trust the fridge.

Unplugging when there is a thunderstorm is a good idea. The rest of the time, pretty pointless.

Life is too short to bugger about at night time unplugging the electrics. All left on standby ready for the next day. Excluding fridge/freezer of course.

Angel1.

You do realise that by doing that your appliances are costing you money ?

Unplugging when there is a thunderstorm is a good idea. The rest of the time, pretty pointless.

Appreciated, but we didn't unplug the TV (neither the power nor aerial cable), we just turned it off.

It wasn't a ruse to get me away from the TV either. I regularly had my nose in a book and we played board games a lot. It was just one of those strange things my parents insisted on but in later life I came to realise was silly.

---------- Post added 10-08-2016 at 17:32 ----------

Everything unplugged except for fridge /freezer . Friends husband was safety officer for Fire brigade and he advised us to do so .

Alarm clocks? VCRs/Hi-Fis with clocks? The phone?

no one mentioned his router yet?

Turning off your internet modem/router often can cause your speed to drop also, as the exchange detects it going off, and coming back on, and thinks there's a stability issue, so lowers the speed to try and stabilize it...

Lots of appliances are DESIGNED to be left plugged in, and often even on stand-by over night..

Mobile phone chargers, laptop chargers, hi-fi's etc, I would agree to turn off at the switch, or unplug when not in use - it can help extend the life of the chargers aswell...