Transferring ownership of my car to a friend.

I want to transfer ownership of my car on August 31, he then taxes the car on September 1 is this permiiable. I am taxed till end of February 2017 will I get 6 months tax back.

SORN it on 31st under your name.

He can buy it on 1st and tax it.

After you declare SORN it must be kept off public road for those few hours.

SORN it on 31st under your name.

He can buy it on 1st and tax it.

After you declare SORN it must be kept off public road for those few hours.

You don't need to get a SORN for a couple of hours. That's just unnecessary paperwork for both the current owner and the DVLA. If there's a delay between the SORN and the new V5 being processed, then the new owner may find themselves pulled over by the police for driving a vehicle which shouldn't be on the road. That'll be wasting even more time for the police and the new owner.

OP: Remember that taxing a vehicle doesn't confirm ownership of it. Nothing does.

The closest thing to proof of vehicle ownership is a V5. Unused tax isn't refunded when the new owner taxes it... It is refunded when the new owner sends off the V5 and it has been processed by the DVLA.

Edited by Revel

DVLA refunds full month refunds.

If you sell car on 31st you get one more month refund then selling on 1st next day.

Best way to do it for seller is to SORN it when selling.

Buyer can buy tax before 1st as far as I can remember.

Seller sends off V5, that is important thing.