"What's best price?"

What does this actually mean?

When selling an item, be it on eBay, Gumtree, Sheffield Forum etc. I've been asked this several times before, I'm never really sure if they're asking what the best price I've been offered so far is or what the least amount I'd accept is.

Taking the question literally, the best price would be the full price, for me.

What does this actually mean?

When selling an item, be it on eBay, Gumtree, Sheffield Forum etc. I've been asked this several times before, I'm never really sure if they're asking what the best price I've been offered so far is or what the least amount I'd accept is.

Taking the question literally, the best price would be the full price, for me.

I suppose it depends on whom the question is asked of. If I'm selling something the best price is what I'm asking, any lesser offer being 'less than best' to 'downright bloody insult'.

Having said that, I recently bought some doors and stuff for my car and offered more than the vendor was asking due to him not realising the full worth. After some haggling, I eventually dropped my offer to his original asking price.

If you feel that the person you're buying off is pretty useful for further purchases, offer full asking price initially with respect to favourable trade deals in the future … sort of psychology where you build up a trust/friendship.

Works for me. :thumbsup:

'Best price' is a commonly accepted term for items that aren't sold at a fixed price. It's in everyday use in the antiques trade and you'd be stupid not to ask for the best price when buying something in an antique shop.

I suppose it depends on whom the question is asked of. If I'm selling something the best price is what I'm asking, any lesser offer being 'less than best' to 'downright bloody insult'.

Having said that, I recently bought some doors and stuff for my car and offered more than the vendor was asking due to him not realising the full worth. After some haggling, I eventually dropped my offer to his original asking price.

If you feel that the person you're buying off is pretty useful for further purchases, offer full asking price initially with respect to favourable trade deals in the future … sort of psychology where you build up a trust/friendship.

I think it does help to strike up a rapport with sellers.

I was recently looking for some second hand motorbike gear online; I was looking to replace an item which I had already bought in the incorrect size.

I found an item I really liked and messaged the seller asking about the sizing. Turns out he was a really lovely chap. We exchanged messages, and he ended up selling me the item for the same amount as I was selling my own item for, even though I told him I would pay £20 more. The item (which is brand new and unused) is worth a lot more.

It always pays to be nice, it's a bonus when it pays off tangibly :)

That's not good business sense offering somebody more than they are asking.Buy everything as cheap as you can.

Edited by ivan edake
missed word

That's not good business sense offering somebody more than they are asking. Buy everything as cheap as you can.

It is if you actually bother to read my post.

Oh yeah, like 'where can I buy cheap rubber 'O' rings for my solid rocket booster?' … the rest is history. :loopy: