Different laws in different places

An American woman has been convicted of sending death threats to Stephen Hawking and given a four month suspended prison sentence.

And she was stalking him at a conference that he was attending. I guess they do it differently in America.

An American woman has been convicted of sending death threats to Stephen Hawking and given a four month suspended prison sentence.

And she was stalking him at a conference that he was attending. I guess they do it differently in America.

Apparently.

They chop people's hands off for theft in Saudi.

Your point being?

British jet - British law.

Apparently.

They chop people's hands off for theft in Saudi.

Your point being?

British jet - British law.

Drunk easyJet passenger who threatened to stab pilot jailed for eight months

It seems that actual assault and just a drunken threat is treated the same, in the UK.

The court heard that the 44-year-old put up with the abuse for six months because Parker threatened to hurt Mr Reene's family if he told anyone about the attacks.

But the final straw came when Parker punched out two of Mr Reene's front teeth and skewered his left buttock with a pitchfork.

He admitted a charge of putting a person in fear of violence and was last night beginning an eight-month prison sentence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/3903848/Boss-jailed-after-stabbing-employee-in-bottom-with-pitchfork.html

It seems that actual assault and just a drunken threat is treated the same, in the UK.

The court heard that the 44-year-old put up with the abuse for six months because Parker threatened to hurt Mr Reene's family if he told anyone about the attacks.

But the final straw came when Parker punched out two of Mr Reene's front teeth and skewered his left buttock with a pitchfork.

He admitted a charge of putting a person in fear of violence and was last night beginning an eight-month prison sentence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/3903848/Boss-jailed-after-stabbing-employee-in-bottom-with-pitchfork.html

And? Threatening to kill is different to an act of and threat of violence. The sentences for both have minimum and maximum tariffs. Well done for finding two that match. Your point?

If you accept that the plane was in danger, then they are not safe to travel on.

Are you drunk? this whole thread is really weird it makes no sense. WTH are you going on about?

So because someone mosbheaves on a plane , then they are not safe to travel on? What kind of statement or conclusion is that?

A threat to kill is an either way offence. For Johnson it was heard in Crown Court. The maximum sentence for the same offence in Crown Court, if found guilty, is 10 years. In Magistrate's Court it's 6 months.

Yes but the threat has to be capable of being carried out at the time, it has to be credible, the pilot didn't hear it, the probability of having a knife after clearing customs is pretty low.

For a threat to kill there is are many points to prove, hence section 4, poa.

And that is why he was sentenced as such.

Had he a knife and held it to the pilots throat then made the comments about killing him then it is a credible threat to kill.

The law is not as black and white as some think.

Yes but the threat has to be capable of being carried out at the time, it has to be credible, the pilot didn't hear it, the probability of having a knife after clearing customs is pretty low.

For a threat to kill there is are many points to prove, hence section 4, poa.

And that is why he was sentenced as such.

Had he a knife and held it to the pilots throat then made the comments about killing him then it is a credible threat to kill.

The law is not as black and white as some think.

He could have smashed his bottle of wine and used that as a weapon. As I say, that happened to me (oh ok, it was actually a glass that he broke and threatened me and others with). He was calmed down until the bizzies showed up by a guy called Steve, who used to run a pub. Steve has a large scar on his neck. He was once glassed by a customer.

The sentencing under the public order act states that the fear or threat of immediate unlawful violence using a weapon ranges between 6 to 26 weeks custodial sentence.

A weapon does not have to be seen but the fear felt by a person of reasonable firmness can be harassed, alarmed or distressed.

Now, take that scenario and knowing what you have now learned do you think the sentence was appropriate?

So what was he charged with? Are you saying it was an offence uder the POA?

So what was he charged with? Are you saying it was an offence uder the POA?

I believe he was charged under aviation law for being drunk on an aircraft.

I was explaining the difference to santo between threats to kill and public order offence, I sort of lost my way in the explanation.