How much is a good pension?

Just found my old pension booklet. For my private pension, it states that my retirement age relates to my employment.

So I could claim my private pension at the age of 50 if I was a deep sea diver, but at 70 if that is when I retired from work.

I thought the whole benefit of a private pension was that you could cash it in when ever you wanted, after age 50?

Just found my old pension booklet. For my private pension, it states that my retirement age relates to my employment.

So I could claim my private pension at the age of 50 if I was a deep sea diver, but at 70 if that is when I retired from work.

I thought the whole benefit of a private pension was that you could cash it in when ever you wanted, after age 50?

Is it a defined contribution pension or a defined benefits pension?

Did they explain that you'll get less/year by choosing to draw it early?

I didnt go into detail. My preferred option would be to just use the pension to show that I will be able to pay any mortgage in the future.

I did message a IFA but he hasnt got back to me.

---------- Post added 03-09-2016 at 21:30 ----------

I have spoken to a IFA and he didnt give any hope of using my £39k pension as a guarantor. He aid I would be able to borrow £50k ish on my income.

What I am now hoping to do is just cash in £10-£15k deposit from my pension and leave the rest in. I will need to see if that is possible.

That will solve my problem.