Sheffield majorettes/marching bands

i was in darnall grenadiers it was soooooo much fun!! :D :D

What years were u in katy cos i bettin i competed against your lot.......1st band i was u'd av mopped us up.....Mexborough Town Grenadiers!!!!! lol

Ended up in CCC (Conisbrough Castle Cavaliers) though but then went bak to MTG jut b4 we disbanded in 1993 n yeah it wa loads o fun.....except I hated road march.....me n tri-toms on a road jus dint work lol.......wot were u on??

• 1 month later...
What years were u in katy cos i bettin i competed against your lot.......1st band i was u'd av mopped us up.....Mexborough Town Grenadiers!!!!! lol

Ended up in CCC (Conisbrough Castle Cavaliers) though but then went bak to MTG jut b4 we disbanded in 1993 n yeah it wa loads o fun.....except I hated road march.....me n tri-toms on a road jus dint work lol.......wot were u on??

the name rings a bell actually, i was on tamberine to start then trumpet and then pom poms

• 2 months later...

I know this thred is a bit old but I was wondering if anyone remembered the majorettes as I was in a few troupes and my parents started two.

I was in Whiston Starlights from being about 6 and then my parents with some other friends started Treeton Fusiliers.

My parents started Darnall Grenadiers!!! Which ended up running for quite a while.

I really enjoyed it at the time - we had some good laughs.

• 4 months later...
Which one were you in ??

I started of in the Manor majorettes when I was 6, then they changed their name to Manor militaires, then to The Star marching band,then finally the Crystal Peaks all stars..Three different names, one band..lol.. We used to practice at Standhouse school..In between that, I was also in a band called the Norfolk Grenadiers which used to practice at Bankwood school on Gleadless..

Just read your link back in 2006, I was also in the Manor Majorettes, my friends Aunt and uncle started it up, with some other friends of theirs, and it soon took off, they then changed the name to the Manor militaires.

I remember having to go upto Standhouse school each week to practice in our black and white uniforms, and those large hats.

I left early 80's, when it was still the millitares.

I was in the Sheffield Majorettes in the mid 60's. I was in the very first Sheffield Lord Mayor's parade (we even got into the Sheffield star), did the Cavalcade at Owlerton, was in the Darnall and Stocksbridge Parades and also one year did the Rag Parade. I remember when we did the parade at Stocksbridge we were a little late and a lady who lived on Vaughton Hill at Deepcar allowed us to get changed in her house. Years later I moved to a cottage on Mill Lane and became friends with the same lady who had let us use her house!

I left the Majorettes around 1968 when I was about 15/16. We had some really good times. I think that the Majorettes disbanded in the early 70's but not sure.

I can remember that the lady who coached us was very particular about the uniforms we wore and that they had to be in prestine condition. All the Majorettes had to wear identical 3/4 length white socks and white plimsolls (trainers weren't around in those days!).

Fond memories!

Why has nobody mentioned the Jordannaires?

I agree - the Jordanaires was the most famous band in Sheffield years ago. Everyone knew someone who was in it at the time. They did all the parades and galas, and especially the Lord Mayor's parade many times. They even went to Bochum in Germany representing Sheffield as far as I'm aware. Were any forummers in it?