Horse riders on public footpaths

Guest makapaka
This morning we decided to walk with the grandkids on public footpaths in the Holmsfield ,Bradway areas.

Some of the paths are very narrow and boarded by woodland or dense nettle and scrub.

We had our two dogs for company who are both trained to walk at close control.

On two occasions our group was forced to move out of the way and into rough nettle and heather by horse riders who showed no interest in our presence on what are clearly marked as public footpaths only.

On commenting to one particularly aggressive woman that she was on a public path and should move over to let us pass safely she told us that horses had the right of way and to get our dogs on a lead or she would not be responsible if they got kicked.

So what is the law on horse riding on pathways is it legal any one.

First world problems.....

but what a bout a public roadway?? they seem to be a little unthinking sometimes, like pulling off the road instead of creating a tailback? and they dont pay road tax:D

Here we go again, road tax doesn't exist, it's vehicle excise duty that you pay. The Roads are paid for from general taxation which everybody pays.

This is about horses.

Just as a car would give way to an HGV, a pedestrian should give way to horses, but its down to who sees who first.

My dog would bark at horses, so I always get her away if I see them first. What the Highway Code says, I dont know. I often walk down dirt tracks, whether they are classed as footpath, I dont know.

but what a bout a public roadway?? they seem to be a little unthinking sometimes, like pulling off the road instead of creating a tailback? and they dont pay road tax:D

You do realise that many roads in Sheffield and into the countryside were laid out before cars were even invented. They were built for pedestrians, carts and animals.

There are two reasons why a horse might legally be ridden on a public path:

1. If the path is a Public Bridleway. There are some around the area, for example the one from Totley Lane down to Mickley Lane via Longford Drive.
  2. If the landowner gives them permission; if the landowner is friendly with the horse stables then they might well let them, for example. But I don't know in the case of the paths in that area.

I was (perhaps incorrectly) assuming that when the OP said footpath, they actually meant that it was a public footpath and not a public bridleway.

---------- Post added 16-08-2016 at 08:41 ----------

Just as a car would give way to an HGV, a pedestrian should give way to horses, but its down to who sees who first.

My dog would bark at horses, so I always get her away if I see them first. What the Highway Code says, I dont know. I often walk down dirt tracks, whether they are classed as footpath, I dont know.

I'm pretty sure that the HC doesn't mention public footpaths, bridleways or dogs.

I'm pretty sure that the HC doesn't mention public footpaths, bridleways or dogs.

Rule 54

You MUST NOT take a horse onto a footpath or pavement, and you should not take a horse onto a cycle track. Use a bridleway where possible.

I think the rule must be like parking on the pavement for vehicle, could a horse go anywhere without a horse being on a footpath? The Highway Code needs serious revision.

The question for the OP comes back to where they were, was there a sign saying public footpath?

The councils are very short of money these days, and dont want to be bothered by triviality.

Some cyclists are a pain on shared footpaths.

They come up behind you and fail to advertise their approach.

Last week my wife was passed by one cyclist without warning and missed her by about a foot. Literally 2 seconds later his friend missed her by inches, no warning either.

Then a third, just as my wife turned to see if there were others, shot by.

Why don't they shout or use a bell?

Rule 54

You MUST NOT take a horse onto a footpath or pavement, and you should not take a horse onto a cycle track. Use a bridleway where possible.

I think the rule must be like parking on the pavement for vehicle, could a horse go anywhere without a horse being on a footpath? The Highway Code needs serious revision.

The question for the OP comes back to where they were, was there a sign saying public footpath?

The councils are very short of money these days, and dont want to be bothered by triviality.

Public footpath means something specific in this case though.

So horses should use roads and bridleways and private land (with permission). Not public footpaths.

Dogs can use any of them (and aren't specifically mentioned).

---------- Post added 16-08-2016 at 09:24 ----------

Some cyclists are a pain on shared footpaths.

They come up behind you and fail to advertise their approach.

Last week my wife was passed by one cyclist without warning and missed her by about a foot. Literally 2 seconds later his friend missed her by inches, no warning either.

Then a third, just as my wife turned to see if there were others, shot by.

Why don't they shout or use a bell?

Shouting causes pedestrians to do strange things. If a cyclists shouted and your wife sidestepped then they'd have a collision, instead of safely passing with a foot to spare.

Public footpath means something specific in this case though.

So horses should use roads and bridleways and private land (with permission). Not public footpaths.

Dogs can use any of them (and aren't specifically mentioned).

---------- Post added 16-08-2016 at 09:24 ----------

Shouting causes pedestrians to do strange things. If a cyclists shouted and your wife sidestepped then they'd have a collision, instead of safely passing with a foot to spare.

I don't think a foot is a safe distance to pass, one step to the side and there's a nasty fall for both.

Don't cycles have bells by law?

They have to be sold with an audible warning device attached. It's not the law that they must keep it in place.

1 foot space depends on relative speeds I'd say. It's safe at a moderate speed (jogging pace), not safe at a higher speed IMO.