Why do people think they are entitled to home ownership?

The Government pay the minimum wage to gardeners now?

No, the government set a minimum hourly rate that must be paid, thus raising the cost of grass cutting for everyone.

This is precisely how the grass cutting market is shored up by our dishonest government...

No, the government set a minimum hourly rate that must be paid, thus raising the cost of grass cutting for everyone.

This is precisely how the grass cutting market is shored up by our dishonest government...

The fundemental difference being that it costs the taxpayer £0 to shore up the grasscutting market. Unlike the housing market which transfers £9 000 000 000 of taxpayer's money to private landlords, whilst simultaneously making rents artificially high for others.

Does the guy who cuts your grass get some of his money paid by the Government in the form of Grass Cutting Benefit? Therefore raising the cost of grass cutting for all.

If not, your analogy fails, as that is precisely how the rental market is shored up by our dishonest Government.

What difference does that make?

The government makes laws. The law says in one case "give me your money and I shall give it to this guy", in the other case "I order you to give money directly to this guy (and I'll be checking to see that you do)". Makes no meaningful difference at all.

The fundemental difference being that it costs the taxpayer £0 to shore up the grasscutting market. Unlike the housing market which transfers £9 000 000 000 of taxpayer's money to private landlords, whilst simultaneously making rents artificially high for others.

Many on minimum wage will get their wages topped up by Working Tax Credits. Those with children, Child Tax Credits. Taxpayers are subsidising low wages paid by employers. According to this article they are topped up by £11bn a year.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/apr/20/taxpayers-spend-11bn-to-top-up-low-wages-paid-by-uk-companies

Landlords provide a service for rent that is paid via housing benefit so it's not like they are getting it for nowt and non housing benefit tenants are preferable as housing benefit is capped and most landlord insurance policy's like mine only accepts people on disability benefit or they won't cover me.

We landlords are providing houses for people to live in while the govt is selling them off so direct your anger at the govt and not landlords...

People need to understand that owning your own home isn't some kind of entitlement that requires government intervention. It is a matter of living within your means and if that means renting, then so be it.

It really is an entitlement, albeit one that isn't conferred to many which is the overarching problem.

Having so much land held by so few and mostly in perpetuity is the essential problem. You are born onto a island that all land belongs to the queen, land reverts back to the crown, land cannot be owned only 'held' for a price.

Yet vast swathes are simply parts of wealthy estates, essentially unused yet unavailable to others.

Having to seek permission from others to have a place to call home is a perversion of nature. You would never try and apply the same principle to any other animal on the planet.

I'm not saying that you should be able to get away with being a cookoo or suchlike but if someone has 2million acres at birth and some has none then somethings clearly not right.

Obviously not everyone has the means or ability to actually build a house but they don't even have the opportunity to try