Why do people think they are entitled to home ownership?

There's the advantage of one day not having to pay rent, but for me, the ability to do what I want with a property in terms of improvements, decorating etc is also important.

For as long as I was renting, I hankered after having my own place to make changes to reflect my own needs and tastes. It's not normally worth doing much to a rented property, if you're even allowed to.

There is also freedom. Many rented properties will not allow you to own a pet for example. You're living in someone else's house who have the right to turf you out in 2 or more months (normally). How can people feel secure if they know they could be forced to move at any point. How does that effect people, or their children for that matter (education-wise).

---------- Post added 15-08-2016 at 14:14 ----------

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Just think of all the modern conveniences which are affordable today which would have been unaffordable or non-existent for most 1 or 2 generations ago.

You're not listing them though. Giving a generic response is not an answer. "Just think of.." no, I'm asking you to quantify your response.

When dealing with a financial arrangement between 2 free citizens, government intervention on one side or the other does not increase net protection, it only expensively moves it from one to the other.

There are countries with laws that protect the renter much more extensively without apparently causing any great difficulty to landlords.

---------- Post added 15-08-2016 at 14:22 ----------

You ignore the many advantages in terms of quality of life which come from being born later.

No he didn't, he was simply listing how the older generation have benefited and continue to benefit from cheap housing.

Not listing the many benefits of being young today doesn't alter the facts of house pricing.

There's the advantage of one day not having to pay rent, but for me, the ability to do what I want with a property in terms of improvements, decorating etc is also important.

For as long as I was renting, I hankered after having my own place to make changes to reflect my own needs and tastes. It's not normally worth doing much to a rented property, if you're even allowed to.

Yeah that is true also, I believe in other countries where renting is a lot more common though, renters have far more rights and are more able to rent long term and decorate themselves, have pets etc. Still wouldn't appeal to me financially though!

Going back to the OP (and possibly echoing someone else's comments), I think it's an aspirational thing rather than a sense of entitlement.

It was something the government started encouraging in the early 80's? Or possibly even earlier.

Not exactly what the OP is meaning, but, I think its rather unfair that on the one hand the Government are giving £35,000 away in right to buy discount, yet some of those that struggle may be lucky to get anything.

A single person has no right to housing. Should we at least give people a GOOD single room to help them out?

I don't think that most people do feel entitled to home ownership. It's more that they feel they should have equal entitlement to their parents, and greater entitlement to foreign buyers.

There is that feeling; but most parents pass the wealth down to their children.

Brits that follow the rules get less than foreigners, because we are taught to save and prosper, and we dont really want to make ourselves homeless in order to get a house.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Just think of all the modern conveniences which are affordable today which would have been unaffordable or non-existent for most 1 or 2 generations ago.

Missus Gomgeg and I are two of the old timers who had it easy. 7per cent mortgages, and not allowed to take her wages into consideration. No tax credits or working tax credits. No family allowance as it was then for the first child. White goods about five times the price of what they are now in real terms compared to wages.

Worked fifty hours a week sometimes sixty. When overtime wasn't available at the weekends I got a Saturday job.

As for the jobs for life then, somebody's taking the shaving water, I lost my job a couple of times and left jobs for better jobs if the pay was better.

I was also in my 40s before I got a job with sick pay and a pension scheme. That was working for the local authority where I soon got fed up of listening to the people who'd been there for years moaning about how hard done to they were, when the chance came to take redundancy and move on the big majority went quiet and stayed in their jobs.

I took redundancy and spent the last ten years before I retired as self employed,

Took a drop in wages and again if I wasn't working due to sickness or lack of work I had nothing coming in, but at least I was responsible for myself.

So I make no apologies for our present situation as house owners, and I certainly wouldn't have had time when I was working to spend all my waking hours on social media complaining about others.

Missus Gomgeg and I are two of the old timers who had it easy. 7per cent mortgages, and not allowed to take her wages into consideration. No tax credits or working tax credits. No family allowance as it was then for the first child. White goods about five times the price of what they are now in real terms compared to wages.

Worked fifty hours a week sometimes sixty. When overtime wasn't available at the weekends I got a Saturday job.

As for the jobs for life then, somebody's taking the shaving water, I lost my job a couple of times and left jobs for better jobs if the pay was better.

I was also in my 40s before I got a job with sick pay and a pension scheme. That was working for the local authority where I soon got fed up of listening to the people who'd been there for years moaning about how hard done to they were, when the chance came to take redundancy and move on the big majority went quiet and stayed in their jobs.

I took redundancy and spent the last ten years before I retired as self employed,

Took a drop in wages and again if I wasn't working due to sickness or lack of work I had nothing coming in, but at least I was responsible for myself.

So I make no apologies for our present situation as house owners, and I certainly wouldn't have had time when I was working to spend all my waking hours on social media complaining about others.

I suppose I'm somewhat in the middle (born in the mid 70's) and maybe that allows me to see both sides.

House prices have risen faster than inflation, but pretty much everything else is cheaper. Disposable incomes are much higher.

We don't generally work as hard as our parents and grandparents did.

That's progress.

You have to have a lot of bias going in to conclude that we're worse off in any meaningful way than previous generations.

---------- Post added 15-08-2016 at 17:03 ----------

There are countries with laws that protect the renter much more extensively without apparently causing any great difficulty to landlords.

Please elaborate.