Appeal for more to donate blood

I'd be happy to donate too (and indeed did donate before I got ill) but as a recipient of a very large transfusion and having had cancer they understandably don't want it.

I am firmly of the opinion that if you would want blood to be available in the event that you/your child/your best mate had an accident and needed some, you should be donating if you can.

Very well doumented in Private Eye

The blood service has cut back the number of static centres, cut back on the opening times of most of the static centres, and also disbanded mobile units.

Serious miscalulation. They were relying on peoples' willingness to increase their journey times and live with the reduced flexibility of the service. People do give blood for the right reasons but it's easier if you can do it on your lunch or at a time that suits you, or if the service will visit you. A lot of people won't go out of their way to do it.

They stopped coming to our local donation clinic they had here at a collage for the Hope Valley area. So we now have to travel to our nearest one which is 12 miles away. That's why we stopped donating. Costs too much to get the train in and back again.

They stopped coming to our local donation clinic they had here at a collage for the Hope Valley area. So we now have to travel to our nearest one which is 12 miles away. That's why we stopped donating. Costs too much to get the train in and back again.

Even in the city centre the blood service looks closed most of the day. There are two sessions a day for a few hours. You can't easily just drop in outside those session hours. There is an 0800 number on the door to phone to make an appointment. They actually seem to actively discourage walk-up customers.

Very well doumented in Private Eye

The blood service has cut back the number of static centres, cut back on the opening times of most of the static centres, and also disbanded mobile units.

Serious miscalulation. They were relying on peoples' willingness to increase their journey times and live with the reduced flexibility of the service. People do give blood for the right reasons but it's easier if you can do it on your lunch or at a time that suits you, or if the service will visit you. A lot of people won't go out of their way to do it.

This has been my experience too.

I watched a piece on Look North this evening with someone representing the Blood Transfusion Service who stated that they just didn't understand why donations have dropped in the last few months.

Really ?

If they actually allowed people to drop in when it was convenient for them at a place and time that was suitable they might get more donations.

They clearly haven't tried to book an appointment to donate. Leaving a message and no one getting back to you at a time which is convenient to them.

They really need to get their act together. Complaining about the lack of donors on live TV without making much effort to allow those willing to donate to do so at a time and place which is convenient for them would be a start :rolleyes:

Edited by Daven

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33004025

There has been an appeal for more people to donate blood.

Why do you think that there has been such an apparent drop in the number of people who are willing to take the time out to donate blood ?

I have my own theories but would be interested in yours.

I used to give blood, but I gave up after being turned away because there were queues.

They introduced appointments, there was nothing wrong with the old system, it seems like they have a problem with the new system?