Appeal for more to donate blood

The NHSBT's Strategic Plan sheds some light on this. From page 6:

"We recognise the need to continue to address the financial pressures on the NHS, most obviously, but not only, in the prices that we charge for our products and services.

Within Blood Supply this pressure is exacerbated by an ongoing reduction in red cell demand due to improved surgical procedures and our work to reduce unnecessary transfusions through better patient blood management. The challenge we face is to reduce costs that are mostly fixed in nature at the same rate as demand reduction so that flat, or reducing, prices can be maintained.

Given that further reduction in demand is anticipated, a continued strong focus on efficiencies will be required and we will continue to see changes to the services that blood donors will see, such as fewer and larger sessions, reduced frequency of mobile sessions in some areas and greater use of fixed donation sites. We will continue to work hard to explain the rationale for these changes to our loyal donors as we should only be collecting the blood that patients need."

Well it is clear that the 'reduction in demand' has not materialised since the BTS is appealing for MORE donors.

If they just allowed those who are willing and wanting to donate to do so at a time and place that is convenient to them they wouldn't have a problem.

They can 'explain their rationale' all they like - if donor sessions are not available at a time and place that is convenient for the donors they will vote with their feet .

There has been an appeal for more people to donate blood.

Why do you think that there has been such an apparent drop in the number of people who are willing to take the time out to donate blood ?

Until a couple of years ago, I used to donate at least two or three times a year at the centre near t'cathedral and I used to drag some of my employees along too (I'm that awesome).

I'd pop in during my lunch hour, wait ten to fifteen minutes for a bed to become available, spend ten minutes donating, then spend thirty minutes drinking tea and eating chocolate biscuits. It was great :)

Nowadays . . . you have to make an appointment TWO MONTHS in advance ?!

TWO MONTHS TO DONATE ! ! ! ? ? ?

Why so long ?

I don't know what my health will be like next week, let alone next month :|

And whatever happened to that magazine they used to post to donors ?

The NHSBT's Strategic Plan sheds some light on this. From page 6:

"We recognise the need to continue to address the financial pressures on the NHS, most obviously, but not only, in the prices that we charge for our products and services.

Within Blood Supply this pressure is exacerbated by an ongoing reduction in red cell demand due to improved surgical procedures and our work to reduce unnecessary transfusions through better patient blood management. The challenge we face is to reduce costs that are mostly fixed in nature at the same rate as demand reduction so that flat, or reducing, prices can be maintained.

Given that further reduction in demand is anticipated, a continued strong focus on efficiencies will be required and we will continue to see changes to the services that blood donors will see, such as fewer and larger sessions, reduced frequency of mobile sessions in some areas and greater use of fixed donation sites. We will continue to work hard to explain the rationale for these changes to our loyal donors as we should only be collecting the blood that patients need."

If there is a reduction in demand why are donors now giving 4 times a year instead of the 3 which used to be the case?

i gave blood for the first time a couple of months ago. i had (wrongly) thought that due to the fact that i am on certain medications I couldn't give blood. it turns out this isn't the case and most people can donate. i think this needs to be said more clearly.

however, when i went to book an appointment the first date on a day off work it suggested was november (this was a few months ago). so i took the afternoon off work but still had to book the appointment a month in advance. the clinic was full. seemed no shortage of donors - just not enough time slots to fit people in

Very well doumented in Private Eye

The blood service has cut back the number of static centres, cut back on the opening times of most of the static centres, and also disbanded mobile units.

Serious miscalulation. They were relying on peoples' willingness to increase their journey times and live with the reduced flexibility of the service. People do give blood for the right reasons but it's easier if you can do it on your lunch or at a time that suits you, or if the service will visit you. A lot of people won't go out of their way to do it.

You're spot on. I give blood regularly and the days of just dropping in have long gone. I have to make a specific timed appointment at a centre miles away, and its not always convenient.

And many of the booked appointments end up empty as people drop out.

I'd love to help out and give blood as i am a rare blood type but i am absolutely terrified of needles!!

It's something i've been afraid of since a small child and the last needle i had i was 18yrs old and that was 17yrs ago! I cried like a baby......

So well done to all of you that do chip in and help out :thumbsup:

I used to give blood every 4 months or so. Then they put me on an 8 week cycle. This meant I gave blood less often as I couldn't get my iron levels back up in 8 weeks. I failed about 4 out of 5 times to donate due to low iron levels and gave up.

If you were on the Interval study you could have requested to stop and return to the twelve week cycle.

---------- Post added 19-08-2016 at 20:29 ----------

If there is a reduction in demand why are donors now giving 4 times a year instead of the 3 which used to be the case?

They found that giving blood every twelve weeks didn't cause any adverse effects. Over the past couple of years they have been conducting an Interval study to find out more accurately the optimum donation period. This I believe has just finished .

If you were on the Interval study you could have requested to stop and return to the twelve week cycle.

---------- Post added 19-08-2016 at 20:29 ----------

They found that giving blood every twelve weeks didn't cause any adverse effects. Over the past couple of years they have been conducting an Interval study to find out more accurately the optimum donation period. This I believe has just finished .

Yes. I was on the '8 week' and it was mostly no problem- except for slightly low Hb ("iron") ratings on a couple of occasions when the level precluded donating.