Are the courts too soft?

The business will of course be free to take out a civil action for the damages, and given that the bar is lower, they'd almost certainly win.

The court can only convict on DD if the CPS bring that charge, which they'll only do if they think they can get a conviction. The fact of crashing is not proof of DD, clearly.

I was watching a Australian Police TV program and a dangerous driving after an accident was almost automatic,

That's crazy though. Sometimes, accidents happen (and this is from a personal injury lawyer). It's a fact though - sometimes there are just accidents.

Also, we have different standards of driving - driving without due care and attention sums up a lot of accidents. Momentary lapses of concentration which we all have.

Dangerous driving is far more serious and requires an intent/recklessness.

How do you get a hire car without insurance?

It looks like the guy who hired it wasn't the guy who crashed it. From the Beeb's report:

Talal Alkassab, 39, hired the Lamborghini Gallardo in July 2015 but, within hours, Diyaa Lababidi had lost control and crashed into shops.

That's crazy though. Sometimes, accidents happen (and this is from a personal injury lawyer). It's a fact though - sometimes there are just accidents.

Also, we have different standards of driving - driving without due care and attention sums up a lot of accidents. Momentary lapses of concentration which we all have.

Dangerous driving is far more serious and requires an intent/recklessness.

The law - the CPS version of it - no intention required - and reckless went a while ago - much simpler now

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/fact_sheets/dangerous_driving/

The law - the CPS version of it - no intention required - and reckless went a while ago - much simpler now

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/fact_sheets/dangerous_driving/

Sorry that's me over-complicating it. It's the old 'would a reasonable person realise the risk' test as far as I'm aware? That said, I've not done criminal for quite a few years, so it could well have changed.