Are the courts too soft?

Irrelevant since in trying to prove that sentencing is a deterrent you quoted an article that said that it could not be proved that sentencing was a deterrent.

Boom.

---------- Post added 19-08-2016 at 20:27 ----------

Pot, kettle, boom.

Are you blind? I said Huhne had been given a prison sentence as a deterrent. That's all. Read what the judge said.

I said the article about sentencing and reoffending was interesting.

If you are going to butt in can you make your butts sensical?

Edited by Santo

Are you simple? I said Huhne had been given a prison sentence as a deterrent. That's all. Read what the judge said.

Your first link which I quoted from wasn't the Huhne link. That was the second one. Your quote about sentence being a deterrent was from the first one, the conclusion of which you omitted because it didn't fit your argument.

In case you've forgotten here's your post in full;

This is interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8504923/Longer-prison-sentences-deter-re-offending-study-shows.html

"Those serving the longer sentences committed an average of 1.075 further offences after being released, compared with an average of 1.347 offences for those on the shorter sentences.

Each set of criminals compared in the figures were jailed for similar offences, had a similar number of previous convictions, and were of a similar age, gender and ethnicity, officials said."

As is this: from the sentencing of Chris Huhne, who I mentioned specifically in relation to deterrence.

"Indeed, in my view, this is the type of offence which requires the court to underline that deterrence is one of the purposes of sentence."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9923143/Chris-Huhne-and-Vicky-Pryce-jailed-judges-sentencing-remarks-in-full.html

Boom.

Simple boom.

Are you blind? I said Huhne had been given a prison sentence as a deterrent. That's all. Read what the judge said.

Do you understand what a deterrent sentence actually means ??

Your first link which I quoted from wasn't the Huhne link. That was the second one. Your quote about sentence being a deterrent was from the first one, the conclusion of which you omitted because it didn't fit your argument.

In case you've forgotten here's your post in full;

Simple boom.

I said the Telegraph article was interesting and quoted part of it. That's all. Why not read posts properly?

You can't GIVE someone a sentence as a deterrent. They've already committed the crime in order to be convicted obviously.

You could give someone a sentence as a deterrent to committing future crimes or as a deterrent to others. Except I've shown that such deterrence doesn't work.

Do you understand what a deterrent sentence actually means ??

Yes thank you.

---------- Post added 19-08-2016 at 20:49 ----------

You can't GIVE someone a sentence as a deterrent. They've already committed the crime in order to be convicted obviously.

You could give someone a sentence as a deterrent to committing future crimes or as a deterrent to others. Except I've shown that such deterrence doesn't work.

I never said you could. It's a deterrent to others as I wrote. Check my post!!

Not really. Prison must also be used as a deterrent. The MP and his wife that were jailed because she claimed to be driving when he got a speeding fine are an example. They were jailed as a deterrent to stop others doing the same. As it is such an easy offense to commit and the chances of being caught are small (she mentioned it in a column I believe, dozy cow) the punishment has to be severe.

It didn't help that they didn't plead guilty early when it came to sentencing however.

See. A deterrent to others.

Are you saying the newspaper didn't report the judge's words verbatim? Why? If you are there is no arguing with you is there? How ridiculous. You fail miserably to save face with such pettiness.

The Wiki article as posted by Unbeliever contains research. Read it.

Your quoted research proves nothing conclusively. Learn what definitively means then I might bother with further discourse with you.

I'm saying that the opinion of a judge (which you are inferring from a single sentence) is not evidence.

The academic consensus AFAIK is that prison sentences are not a deterrent. Feel free to provide some counter evidence for my opinion, at which point I will consider it and may revise my opinion.

The section in bold is making me chuckle. You provide NO evidence, despite me asking for it. Yet you're going to dismiss my evidence because it doesn't match your preconceived opinion. And then you say that you won't further discuss it with me.

Hey, chuck your toys out, I'm not bothered, don't discuss with me. Whatever helps you sleep at night.