Family to be deported from Sheffield

I know, easily done. :)

I'm only joshing as you were so quick to chastise someone for not reading the article when they were in fact correct. Perhaps you'll be less eager to criticise in future!

---------- Post added 20-08-2016 at 21:14 ----------

I agree that that does seem sensible on paper. Unfortunately I don't think all the countries in the EU would sign up to that. Poland weren't exactly pleased when the idea of quotas for refugees was raised..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/poland-refuses-to-take-a-single-refugee-because-of-security-fears-a7020076.html

The EU do many many things that countries don't agree with! Make it a mandatory requirement of EU membership to sign up for refugee treaty. Quite frankly with the current neo-Nazi Polish government anything that can be done to annoy them is probably the right, ethical move!

To claim asylum, is to find safety in a neighbouring country. His safety was clearly not in jeapordy to travel across Europe with England being his chosen destination. If no contribution to tax, or any skills/profession can be offered to benefit our country then deporting is the o ly option.

EU policy is that asylum should be sought in the first EU country reached.

However Britain is set to cease being an EU member and will then have to process asylum claims in accordance with international standards.

So EU countries will simply grant passage of asylum seekers straight through to the UK. The rule about seeking asylum in the first country won't apply any more.

Also....

The dreadful situation in Syria is causing very many people to flee the country. The situation is a result of the rise of ISIS, which is a result of the failures in Iraq, which is a result of the British and American-led invasion of Iraq.

Morally, Britain should bear the responsibility for the mess it has created.

EU policy is that asylum should be sought in the first EU country reached.

However Britain is set to cease being an EU member and will then have to process asylum claims in accordance with international standards.

No. Although there's no such thing as 'international law', treaties (which, in this context, have nothing to do with the EU) always require asylum claims to be made in the first safe country reached. Such a claim, even if genuine, is not transportable.

I don't think so....

If you are a true refugee you would be happy in the first safe country you hit.

If you continue on to another country afterwards surely you become an economic migrant. What most people think of when they say asylum seeker (erroneously).

Actually thats a very good point I never thought o fit like that .. you would be grateful to stop at the first country with running water and electricity and the possibility of a job however low paid to feed your children ....if they all want to head ot the UK afterwards they sound like economic migrants to me ....

Actually thats a very good point I never thought o fit like that .. you would be grateful to stop at the first country with running water and electricity and the possibility of a job however low paid to feed your children ....if they all want to head ot the UK afterwards they sound like economic migrants to me ....

Other posters have pointed out this isn't the case.

I said 'happy' but your use of grateful is probably a little more apt. What I meant was, if you are fleeing for your life from ISIL for example and make it to Lebanon you are then in a safe country. It's obviously no picnic but you have escaped the danger of ISIL.

Whilst there was a great deal of sorrow over the death of Alan Kurdi there were also those who questioned why his life was risked by heading to Greece when he'd already made it to safe Turkey. Perhaps those people aren't aware he was Kurdish and the family wanted to get to relatives in Canada but had been denied exit visas by Turkey.

In the UK you cannot legally get a job if you are an asylum seeker until your case is reviewed. Well, you can, but only if you haven't gotten a decision within 12 months.