Building on greenbelt land

The population has risen by 10 million in the last 50 years, so I assume we have always built on greenbelt land; so why are people so against it?

There must be rules that discourage it, but developers often get their way. I read an article about the Tories relaxing the rules, but its always happened.

Have things changed, building on greenbelt, banned?

The politicians want us to build on brownfield sites, but that must have been greenbelt once upon a time, and there cannot be that much of it.

The population has risen by 10 million in the last 50 years, so I assume we have always built on greenbelt land; so why are people so against it?

There must be rules that discourage it, but developers often get their way. I read an article about the Tories relaxing the rules, but its always happened.

Have things changed, building on greenbelt, banned?

The politicians want us to build on brownfield sites, but that must have been greenbelt once upon a time, and there cannot be that much of it.

There's loads of it. Look around Derby road in Chesterfield over the past 20 years - loads of houses built on old industrial sites. Problem is Derby road is now nose to tail traffic most of the time.

But there are lots of old industrial land ripe for rebuilding. Can surrounding infrastructure cope with extra houses?

But there are lots of old industrial land ripe for rebuilding. Can surrounding infrastructure cope with extra houses?

But they never build the 'infrastructure' before, the schools, roads and hospitals; that is always used as an excuse not to build.

The schools around here are always full, that is because they are popular, there are other schools, and schools can quite easily expand.

Also, brownfield land is often contaminated: sites previously used for factories, petrol stations, etc.

It's possible but sometimes expensive to remediate it.

So it should be left empty for ever and a day? Or should someone spend some money to clean it up at some point?

As I understood it, anyone can get permission to build on greenbelt land as long as the property is residential and eco friendly??

There are strict rules though I think. Very high efficiency and low impact.

The rules should come up on a Google search.

So it should be left empty for ever and a day? Or should someone spend some money to clean it up at some point?

No: it "shouldn't" be left empty; but surely the decision is up to whoever owns it.

Yes: the link that I provided shows how remediation can be demanded, by whom, and of whom.

As I understood it, anyone can get permission to build on greenbelt land as long as the property is residential and eco friendly??

There are strict rules though I think. Very high efficiency and low impact.

The rules should come up on a Google search.

The rule is basically that the house must be of high architectural merit and environmentally sound. In other words- very expensive. Basically if you are rich you can choose to build on greenbelt land if you want.