Dungeons & Dragons - RPGs

Hi

Does anyone know of anywhere in South Yorkshire where you can play Dungeons & Dragons?

I have always been interested and know quite a bit about it but have never played, had a chance once but backed out as they wanted me to be a halfling(wish i had accepted now).

I'm looking for anywhere that would accept someone who is new and has a basic understanding, I have played RPG's on my P.C for years and just want to expand on this.

If anyone could help i'd be grateful.

Glenn

I'm sure there's a roleplaying society at Sheffield Uni Students' Union. There certainly was when I was there, and I got involved in several D&D games. Maybe check them out?

Would it be worth asking at one of the "Games Workshop" stores? There's one at the bottom of the Moor and one at Meadowhall.

They used to have noticeboards up for local game groups and probably still do.

I would advise against the Games Workshop approach. As the store caters for the 'tabletop lead figures' brigade, and kids element, you will have no luck finding serious rpg gamers there. Other stores such as Patriot (down by the Wicker) are a better option as they cater to the rpg market more.

I've been trying to get a regular gaming group together for quite some time now. In the past I have run various games, such as Warhammer RPG, Deadlands, Cyberpunk, Heroes Unlimited, and the lighter moments of Paranoia and Ghostbusters - all to no avail. Life seems to get in the way of gaming. Sadly I have practically given it up as a lost cause.

Now, I'm sure there may be others of the 'far from student' age on here who fancy giving it a shot. Perhaps that could work better - get some people interested and try to start up a game group ourselves. Heck, I'm open to any suggestions at the moment. Admittedly due to my work pattern it would be hard to get regular games done, but any would be better than none, eh?

So, any takers for seting up a small gaming group? Any old gamers who want back into the hobby, or new gamers who want to give it a shot (and I promise, I will never force anyone to be a halfling for 'game balance').

We could begin with Warhammer RPG (similar setting to D&D, so easy for new gamers to pick up).

List below those who are up for it. (I'm getting excited at the idea of gaming again now)

Rich how would i get in touch with them? I'm a long way from being a student and have never been to uni

I would imagine the best way would be to go for one of their activities fairs. All the societies have stalls to try and attract new members. They tend to have them in the first week of each semester (which unfortunately would mean waiting till September).

I can have an ask around and see if there's any public advertising of exactly when... but the best approach may be to turn up to reception at the main students union building on whichever Monday (evening) is closest to September 20th and ask them when the activities fair is. Be aware though that the fair will be during working hours.

You could always try the Wargames Emporium in Orchard Square...it's one of the small units accessed via the stairs. They stock a pretty good selection of Roleplaying / Wargames / Boardgaming stuff and they seem to be good people.

The roleplay shop at the top of the Wicker (can't remember its name, but not the Space Centre) runs regular games and has details of groups you could join.

Good luck

Adz

Archived