Anyone know of local Orchestras looking for new members?

Anyone know of any local orchestras or wind bands that welcome new members? I'm a percussionist/drummer, used to play at grade 7 standard though it's been a few years. I'd be interested in rehearsing once a week (or less!), as it would be a hobby, not a life's devotion!!!!

sheffield phil, sheffield symphony and hallam sinfonia all have web sites. I play percussion for hallam and sheff symphony but only do the rehersal on the day and the concert, which is pretty standard especially as they only own timps and already have a resident timpanist. The rest of the instruments are provided by a couple of us on the day.

you could try contacting the orchestra managers if you want to play, but I dont think it'll involve regular rehearsals.

There are some local brass bands screaming out for percussion players but be warned that at the high levels (which you would want to play at to get anything worthwhile on your part) they expect twice a week commitment to rehearsals plus a number of weekends away at contests and lots of weekend gigs (all of which you cover out of your own pocket).

I currently do most of my playing on the dep circuit as it is the most lucrative and involves the least commitment to any single organisation so fits in better with work.

hope you find somewhere to play!

• 4 months later...

Archived