Prepare now to resist xmas?

By "resist Xmas" I'm talking about the ridiculously excessive consumerism of Xmas, not the Holy event.

I'm already seeing Xmas products in the shops and it will soon creep up on us.

We all cave in to the pressure of spending too much money at xmas, for instance every household buying enough presents to put a smile on 25 children's faces when they may only have about 2 or 3 kids!

We moan about it every year but its usually too late because Xmas is well and truly under way (October) when the moaning commences.

Just for once can we nip this in the bud before it begins?

What will it take to change the xmas culture of consumerism and bring it back to being a time to get together with the family?

By "resist Xmas" I'm talking about the ridiculously excessive consumerism of Xmas, not the Holy event.

We all cave in to the pressure of spending too much money at xmas, for instance every household buying enough presents to put a smile on 25 children's faces when they may only have about 2 or 3 kids!

We moan about it every year but its usually too late because Xmas is well and truly under way (October) when the moaning commences.

What will it take to change the xmas culture of consumerism and bring it back to being a time to get together with the family?

The Spanish Inquisition?

So long as you know what you're on about that's all that matters I suppose!

In answer to your final question about what would make us forget consumerism and return to family values at Xmas blah blah. Only if Christianity becomes 'popular' again. For that, the Spanish Inquisition would be needed. But no-one expects them.....

youll be moaning its been banned next cos of those nasty muslim folks :suspect::roll:

I have a very very small budget for anything festive over the Christmas period (including several family and friends having birthdays) so I pick up things through the year. I make quite a lot of the things that I give, and I've been making one of them for at least a couple of months already.

We don't all get caught up in consumerism you know. I wonder how a lot of people afford the lavish gifts that they give, but then I wonder how they afford holidays that cost thousands and I have no idea how people afford to change their washing machine because it no longer matches their kitchen. Everything in my house keeps going until it genuinely cannot be repaired.

I think parents need to realise that by over-giving to young children they are creating an expectation in their offspring that they will find very difficult to reverse at a later date, and that they are also creating a greed in them that will never be satisfied. A spoilt child is not a happy child.