Olympic Success the Cost

Let me comment before some ill informed person makes the comment of "I would rather have the money spent on hospitals and schools". Well the lottery money cannot be used that way because the 12 distributors who decides who gets lottery funding are independent of government.

It is money well spent on the Olympic sports and a greater share of funding should be considered if it leads to more medals in my opinion. The athletes are an inspiration and great representatives of the nation.

I suspect that it actually contributes money to hospitals. Lottery money is given to elite sportsmen and women who, through their success, go on to become household names. They become celebrities, commentators or icons for advertising. Many of them earn millions. They pay huge amounts of tax on their earnings which can then be used to pay for sportsfields, facilities or on the NHS.

Usain Bolt reputedly earned $32 over the last 12 months.

I'm more concerned about the number of BBc personel who seem to have enjoyed jollies at our expence covering the games.

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 09:55 ----------

You presume very incorrectly.

Primarily from lottery funding which is money government can't touch. So what would you spend it on instead?

I don't think that is the case. Lottery funding goes to UK Sport who use it for training facilities for sportsmen and women to improve their performance. Sending the athletes to the Olympics is incidental to that and the costs largely covered by sponsorship from these partners https://www.teamgb.com/partners-suppliers

I would imagine that without the success that is brought about by the training facilities our success would be lower and would attract less sponsorship. Sponsors like to be associated with winners.

Edited by pacifica

Watching them arrive live now. Whatever the cost, its worth every penny.

If the cost is in question then I'd suggest UK football money is spent on it instead and UK football is disbanded, as THAT is a waste of money and full of overpaid talentless celebs.

Correct. They didn't even bother going to Rio. Perhaps there wasn't enough cash on offer.

Watching them arrive live now. Whatever the cost, its worth every penny.

If the cost is in question then I'd suggest UK football money is spent on it instead and UK football is disbanded, as THAT is a waste of money and full of overpaid talentless celebs.

You realise that UK football (at the club level) isn't supported by lottery money. It's a commercial thing...

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 11:45 ----------

Correct. They didn't even bother going to Rio. Perhaps there wasn't enough cash on offer.

Or

"The problem facing any possible future Great Britain team is that there is no mechanism for it to qualify, as the individual home nations compete in the qualifying competition"

Perhaps those athletes who received lottery funding and did not win any medals should do some kind of community service as a kind of payback for their failures.

Because that attitude is likely to attract people into high level competition isn't it. :loopy:

Well done to all the athletes who helped Great Britain achieve second place in the medal table.

Well to all the athletes who took part. Even getting to that level is something that most people could never come close to achieving.

I think our success at the Olympics has really lifted the public mood and given us back a bit of confidence, and that alone is priceless. Yes, it's cost a lot of money but what doesn't these days?

I hope it translates into something more tangible, and I really hope that it does good for the people of Brazil, especially the poorest in their population. I think in their opening ceremony, it was clear that they appreciate the problems and want to do something about it. Hopefully investment will follow. The world will be watching with interest.

Please don't accuse me of trolling here because I'm not, but I can't see the point of the Olympics. I never have. What is the point. They are not working and contracting to society or helping anybody but themselves.At least when it comes to contributions, if the people paying for lottery tickets don't mind at least that is something.

Please don't accuse me of trolling here because I'm not, but I can't see the point of the Olympics. I never have. What is the point. They are not working and contracting to society or helping anybody but themselves.At least when it comes to contributions, if the people paying for lottery tickets don't mind at least that is something.

I think one of the original aims of the Olympics was to keep peace or bring peace between Nations.

The Olympic Truce.

Well, one day the Universe will collapse thus rendering all human achievement ultimately pointless...

Many athletes at the Olympics are amateurs. Not so much Team GB because UK Sport provides stipends which allow them to dedicate their full time to the sport. In 1996 we won one Gold. UK Sport was set up to rectify that and has been phenomenally successful!

As said before someone like Jess has earned a lot of money. Even if she's registered herself as a company, which a good accountant would recommend, she will have paid more in tax than she received in stipends. The difference is, if she doesn't want her tax money to be used for Trident for example there is nothing she can do but if you don't want your money spent on athletes there is: don't buy Lottery tickets. I almost feel guilty for enjoying London and Rio so much because I don't play the Lottery.

As for Honours: if proving to the world you are the absolute best at something isn't worthy of an Honour I don't know what is...