Olympic Success the Cost

Correct. They didn't even bother going to Rio. Perhaps there wasn't enough cash on offer.

They didn't go because the four home football associations couldn't agree and there was talk that it could affect the membership of FIFA. I don't know whether they were scared that FIFA might class the associations as one. The reason they played in 2012 was because they were the host country.

They didn't go because the four home football associations couldn't agree and there was talk that it could affect the membership of FIFA. I don't know whether they were scared that FIFA might class the associations as one. The reason they played in 2012 was because they were the host country.

Exactly correct, I posted as much on Page 1.

I can't remember the exact details but I think the FA wanted England to represent GBR in terms of qualifying for the Olympics but the other home nations didn't agree which is understandable. Something like that anyway.

Please don't accuse me of trolling here because I'm not, but I can't see the point of the Olympics. I never have. What is the point. They are not working and contracting to society or helping anybody but themselves.At least when it comes to contributions, if the people paying for lottery tickets don't mind at least that is something.

They inspire the young, considering there's a massive health and obesity problem in children at the moment.

There's talk of Knight'hood's and other titles for the medal winner's,people 'are calling them hero's, all they have done is win a medal in there sport.

The real hero's are our soldiers who risk there lives, some of them come home

with arms and legs blown off, and what do they get.

There's talk of Knight'hood's and other titles for the medal winner's,people 'are calling them hero's, all they have done is win a medal in there sport.

The real hero's are our soldiers who risk there lives, some of them come home

with arms and legs blown off, and what do they get.

A chance to compete in the Paralympics?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/serving-soldiers-in-gb-paralympics-team

Seriously, that argument is so boring. All honours are ultimately pointless. Proving you are the very best in the world at something is as worthy as anything.

Edited by Santo

I agree with the first bit but cant understand why bronze medals don't seem to count as if you include them we came 3rd. :huh:

The table positions are decoded by number of golds,then silvers,then bronze.

ie if 2 countries have the same no. of golds then the one with the greater number of silvers is the higher position etc..it's not done by numbers of medals ..as I understand it anyway..

I agree with the first bit but cant understand why bronze medals don't seem to count as if you include them we came 3rd. :huh:

It goes on number of golds. We got more. If we had the same number it goes on silver. We'd have still won them on silvers. If both gold and silver numbers are equal it goes on bronze and yes China won us there. That's how the medal table works.

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 16:15 ----------

The table positions are decoded by number of golds,then silvers,then bronze.

ie if 2 countries have the same no. of golds then the one with the greater number of silvers is the higher position etc..it's not done by numbers of medals ..as I understand it anyway..

Spot on. Beat me to it.

Well, one day the Universe will collapse thus rendering all human achievement ultimately pointless...

Many athletes at the Olympics are amateurs. Not so much Team GB because UK Sport provides stipends which allow them to dedicate their full time to the sport. In 1996 we won one Gold. UK Sport was set up to rectify that and has been phenomenally successful!

As said before someone like Jess has earned a lot of money. Even if she's registered herself as a company, which a good accountant would recommend, she will have paid more in tax than she received in stipends. The difference is, if she doesn't want her tax money to be used for Trident for example there is nothing she can do but if you don't want your money spent on athletes there is: don't buy Lottery tickets. I almost feel guilty for enjoying London and Rio so much because I don't play the Lottery.

As for Honours: if proving to the world you are the absolute best at something isn't worthy of an Honour I don't know what is...

I know what you mean about the lottery Santo because we don't buy lottery tickets either but we do enjoy going to the theatre and that has had lottery funding too.