Olympic Success the Cost

I agree with the first bit but cant understand why bronze medals don't seem to count as if you include them we came 3rd. :huh:

The Russians claimed third place in the medal table at the 2012 London Olympics because they won more medals than Great Britain, even though they won less gold medals than Great Britain. The medal table seems to based primary on the amount of Gold Medals each country wins, which seems fair enough to me.

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 21:31 ----------

There's talk of Knight'hood's and other titles for the medal winner's,people 'are calling them hero's, all they have done is win a medal in there sport.

The real hero's are our soldiers who risk there lives, some of them come home

with arms and legs blown off, and what do they get.

Well said.

Should be used to build roads :mad:

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 22:10 ----------

And repairing pot holes in Sheffield

Even if that vould happen ftom lottery funding, we would only get 10 miles of new motorway for the same money. Over the four year funding cycle the cost per person of the Olympic funding works out at just £1.10 per person per year. Great value, especially as none of it comes from general taxation.

The Russians claimed third place in the medal table at the 2012 London Olympics because they won more medals than Great Britain, even though they won less gold medals than Great Britain. The medal table seems to based primary on the amount of Gold Medals each country wins, which seems fair enough to me.

I think the formula is

one gold = 2 silver

one silver = 2 bronze

therefore

1 gold = 4 bronze

I think the formula is

one gold = 2 silver

one silver = 2 bronze

therefore

1 gold = 4 bronze

No, there is no formula whatever. It's as myself and Truman have described.

The IOC organises their table by number of Gold first, then Silver and then Bronze. They do this for information only and not to rank countries. It's the system adopted by most of the World's media but some prefer to list by total number of medals, notably in America. So far as I know no-one uses your described formula to sort the table.

The Olympic Charter states:

"The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events and not between countries."

Edited by Santo

The team from Brazil but I suspect you knew that. Take it up with the IOC.

They might be interested in your medal table formula that you plucked from thin air.

I don't need to take it up with the IOC. Great Britain won team medals in hockey, rowing, cycling, track and field, diving, badminton and kyaking.

Other nations also won medals team in swimming, basketball and tennis.

As for the medal equivalents how would you compare Alistaire Brownlee winning a gold alongside his brother winning silver? Would you say the 2 medals had the same value?

Edited by pacifica

I don't need to take it up with the IOC. Great Britain won team medals in hockey, rowing, cycling, track and field, diving, badminton and kyaking.

Other nations also won medals team in swimming, basketball and tennis.

As for the medal equivalents how would you compare Alistaire Brownlee winning a gold alongside his brother winning silver? Would you say the 2 medals had the same value?

The Olympic medal table which you incorrectly discussed is not there to rank nations though. It's for information only. Try and prove me wrong using the IOC Charter. You won't be able to.