Olympic Success the Cost

in the current economic climate the Olympics is a luxury many countries cannot afford, Brazil certainly cant , you only have to look at the disgusting Favellas, for the UK to spend so much on the Olympic squad also is wrong although i understand some of the money comes from the national Lottery.

my take on sport is that if you want to take up a sport pastime etc then it should be done at your own cost, nobody else pays for my motorsport or shooting or golf?

in the current economic climate the Olympics is a luxury many countries cannot afford, Brazil certainly cant , you only have to look at the disgusting Favellas, for the UK to spend so much on the Olympic squad also is wrong although i understand some of the money comes from the national Lottery.

my take on sport is that if you want to take up a sport pastime etc then it should be done at your own cost, nobody else pays for my motorsport or shooting or golf?

Duly noted and ignored as boring cliched drivel.

Go and do it professionally then they will.....

in the current economic climate the Olympics is a luxury many countries cannot afford, Brazil certainly cant

They're not forced to bid for hosting, nor send athletes.

Why does India insist on spending billions a space programme when it can't care for its people?

The Olympic medal table which you incorrectly discussed is not there to rank nations though. It's for information only. Try and prove me wrong using the IOC Charter. You won't be able to.

I don't need to. Common sense has already proved you wrong. The world rewards winners. The gold medalists are the ones who get the interviews, thats why many countries reward medalists financially. In all instances the reward for winning gold is many times that of winning silver or bronze. About half the countries only pay gold medal winners and ignore silver and bronze.

Do you think Usain Bolt would get $32 million/year if he won a bronze medal.

---------- Post added 24-08-2016 at 16:40 ----------

Do we actually know that the government funds our olympic team at all? I certainly get the impression that the lottery funds the training facilities and personel required to bring through world class athletes. Then it seems the Olympic team is pretty much funded by sponsors. And as the sponsors like to be associated with success, winning gold medals brings more sponsorship, which in turn should lead to more success.

https://www.teamgb.com/partners-suppliers

Edited by pacifica

I don't need to. Common sense has already proved you wrong. The world rewards winners. The gold medalists are the ones who get the interviews, thats why many countries reward medalists financially. In all instances the reward for winning gold is many times that of winning silver or bronze. About half the countries only pay gold medal winners and ignore silver and bronze.

Do you think Usain Bolt would get $32 million/year if he won a bronze medal.

In what way have you proved me wrong?

I pointed out the error in the way you defined the medal table. You haven't proven yourself correct.

Being wrong isn't a sin. You were wrong about the GBR football team and wrong about the medal table. Don't take it personally, I think nothing less of you. You don't know something until you are told it or read it. You just got told, that's all. Why not thank me?

Louis Smith has done ok btw. When did he win gold??

Edited by Santo

In what way have you proved me wrong?

I pointed out the error in the way you defined the medal table. You haven't proven yourself correct.

Being wrong isn't a sin. You were wrong about the GBR football team and wrong about the medal table. Don't take it personally, I think nothing less of you. You don't know something until you are told it or read it. You just got told, that's all. Why not thank me?

Louis Smith has done ok btw. When did he win gold??

So who is the most successful nation one that returns from the Olympics with 50 gold medals or one that returns with 51 bronze? Take your time to think it though.

So who is the most successful nation one that returns from the Olympics with 50 gold medals or one that returns with 51 bronze? Take your time to think it though.

If it's the US with 50 golds and Iceland with 51 bronze I'd say Iceland.

I don't need time. I knew how the IOC table works and I know it's not ranking nations. You didn't yet you are too small to admit it. Be a bigger man!