Hadfields Steel Works

Would you be kind enough to send pictures of Brown Bayleys to me at stuartb47@yahoo.com as I used to work there.Thanks

Sorry I do not have photos, but my dad worked at Brown Baileys in the melting shop for many years. He was a melter (1st hand) on the small high frequency induction furnace. He was transfered to Hadfields to a similar role and took part on the picket lines when Thatcher decided to destroy South Yorkshire. As a scotsman he was known as 'Jock'.

I worked at Brown Baileys for about three months a year each summer for about four years when I was a student. I was a 'spareman' in the melting shop (12 hour days and nights) occasionally picking up a spare job on either the casting pit side, or the melting side on the electric arc furnaces. I remember several characters, 'Cyril' the works manager, and a labourer called 'Wincobank Jack'. He used to wonder round the melting shop with a shovel full of dust which he put down at meal times, and at the end of his shift. He would pick up the shovel again at the start of his next shift and carry the same pile of dust around for another eight hours! Jim the 'Stopper Lad' who used to assemble the brick and iron-rod stoppers for the ladles used in the shop. I was known as 'Jock's Lad'.

Fascinating to read the thread by Steveninusa and having read some of the other posts I wonder what has happened to Sheffileld's history.Some of the vague comments make me wonder if it has any relevance at all.

I worked at Edgar Allens in the melting shop across the road,Vulcan Road, from Hadfields and the contribution to modern life by both Companies was enormous.

After all everything that we use in life started life in a foundry.

Just think about it.Oil and oil products ie plastics, do not jump out of the ground.Iron ore and all sorts of minerals in use today do not fall from the skies.

Think back to the opening scenes of the Full Monty and the promotional film about the Steel industry in Sheffield (Sheffield on the move) and now that it has nearly all gone we still owe a lot to Companies such as Hadfields.

• 1 month later...

I came across this site by accident, and I am so pleased that I did. It was with great sadness that I saw that Mike Williams passed away. It was so lovely to read about him. I worked with Mike in the Marketing Department, we became great mates and me and my then husband often used to get invited to Mikes house. I remember is lovely wife Fay.

It was such a lovely old building to work in, but I hated having to go down into the basement to look for certain files, very spooky down there!

We used to be always going out to the many local pubs at lunch time, and I still remember Mikes car a Triumph I think. Great memories, it would be lovely to hear from anyone who worked there same time as me.

I remember Sam Thackur, I think he went onto lecture in Sheffield somewhere.

Lovely memories :)

I came across this site by accident, and I am so pleased that I did. It was with great sadness that I saw that Mike Williams passed away. It was so lovely to read about him. I worked with Mike in the Marketing Department, we became great mates and me and my then husband often used to get invited to Mikes house. I remember is lovely wife Fay.

It was such a lovely old building to work in, but I hated having to go down into the basement to look for certain files, very spooky down there!

We used to be always going out to the many local pubs at lunch time, and I still remember Mikes car a Triumph I think. Great memories, it would be lovely to hear from anyone who worked there same time as me.

I remember Sam Thackur, I think he went onto lecture in Sheffield somewhere.

Lovely memories :)

Hi - from my own memories I can ellaborate a little on Sam - he and his wife Krishna were good friends of my parents and Sam is still in touch with my mother [Fay] you reference, above. Several colleagues of my father's at Hadfields (and indeed their families) serve as lasting memories for me: a guy called Neil Wilkinson in sales (with whose wife & children my sister, mum and I would often go to either Chatsworth or Bakewell's Thursday market during holidays); a lady called Beverley who worked with Dad & who came round once a week to desparately try to teach my sisiter and I to play the piano!); a guy called Howard Grinrod (if memory serves me correctly) - who lived a few houses down from us on Muskoka Ave. in Ecclesall.......I could go on and on! Would be great to hear more from you, 'Jancot'; my mother refers to herself as a 'technical philistine' (sounds more like a quote my Dad would have made!) but would, I'm sure, be interested to hear more of your Hadfoelds experience and working with Dad.

• 4 weeks later...

I also came accross this site by chance(so glad i did)Istarted work at hadfields in 1963(it became dunford hadfields later)as an apprentice blacksmith.approxamately 6000 people worked there.my clock in number 6066(how strange i can remember this)must go now but i will be back

So glad I've chanced upon this thread. I'm a writer, currently working on a novel and researching for my story.

What pubs were frequented by workers from Hadfields around mid 50's/early 60's?

I have the Bridge Inn, Meadowhall Road in mind but I'd welcome any other suggestions. And any descriptions/info would be really helpful.

Hadfields became Dunford Hadfields around 1966/67.When i recieved my apprentice served Blacksmith certificate it had DunfieldHadfields on the top of it and this was 1968.At the same time the foundry (which was at the time the longest foundry in the world 440yards long) was taken over by Osbourns thus giving Dunford and Osbourn Hadfields.Hadfields had their own sports ground on bawtry road and a number of football teams and cricket teams.We used to play inter-departmental matches as well.