Inside the low wage economy..

I think that's the plan isn't it? You don't go there to be a well read bin man, in the main anyway.

I've a vague recollection though of Jarvis cocker commenting on the fact that within a week all students sound the same.

Ironically I read a guide to freshers recently that said "yes, you do have an accent, and everyone else will find it hilarious".

---------- Post added 25-08-2016 at 08:25 ----------

Funnily enough he did mimic posh young people ordering a pint of lager. They don't do much of that now in student unions in my experience - just buy a latte and nurse that all day.

When did you last go in Bar One?

In the meantime Anna, isn't it time you admitted to having a much nicer pension than those of my generation will ever see? Let alone the fact that when you worked 20K actually still meant something. Unfortunately for my generation, your generation voted Brexit 'because something has to change'.

I didn't start saving for a pension until my 40s and had to leave work early due to ill health, so it's not as good as you might think. And my state pension is pathetic, not much more than the basic £113 a week, and I ad to wait an extra 3 years for that.

As for your pensions not being as good, don't blame me, blame the banks and a near zero interest rate, but like I keep saying, the bankers responsible are still sitting pretty on their enormous salaries and bonuses which just keep on coming... You might like to have a word with employers like Sir Philip Green as well who have disappeared into the sunset with their employees pensions stuffed into their bulging pockets...

Everything my generation had was fought hard for and won by unions, so join one and start fighting for what you want. Are you beginning to realise that you are a victim of this system too. We are actually on the same side. You might also like to consider voting for Mr. Corbyn who has plans to improve your pension prospects.

I didn't start saving for a pension until my 40s and had to leave work early due to ill health, so it's not as good as you might think. And my state pension is pathetic, not much more than the basic £113 a week, and I ad to wait an extra 3 years for that.

As for your pensions not being as good, don't blame me, blame the banks and a near zero interest rate, but like I keep saying, the bankers responsible are still sitting pretty on their enormous salaries and bonuses which just keep on coming... You might like to have a word with employers like Sir Philip Green as well who have disappeared into the sunset with their employees pensions stuffed into their bulging pockets...

Everything my generation had was fought hard for and won by unions, so join one and start fighting for what you want. Are you beginning to realise that you are a victim of this system too. We are actually on the same side. You might also like to consider voting for Mr. Corbyn who has plans to improve your pension prospects.

How is JC going to improve my private pension?

Let me be clear - I am not blaming you for the state of pensions etc. I blame you for bemoaning the current situation at every opportunity without a sense of perspective. 20K a year isn't a low income, yet you make it sound like it is practically impossible to live off based on what you see on a TV show.

A bit of grounding in reality would be good, most people in this country are well off.

And in reality the poor today are much better off than the poor (or the rich) in the past.

The standard of living, even for the 50% earning below 22k is the highest it's ever been.

I don't think that earning less than the median immediately qualifies someone as poor anyway, otherwise 50% of the population will always be poor, no matter how well off they are.

But in the UK even the poor have most likely got a mobile phone, and a TV and multiple channels to watch, they have access to leisure facilities, somewhere to live and something to eat.

Deprivation exists, but simply earning less than the average doesn't mean you are deprived.

Cyclone,

I think you make a clarifying point by drawing attention to," earnings less than the average........."

I thought you might find the following link interesting. It draws attention to the difference between,"absolute poverty and relative poverty". A person doesn't have to be living in cess pit in the middle of the road and paying for the privilege, to be designated as poor. The 21st Century has its own indicators for describing poverty.

http://www.poverty.org.uk/summary/social%20exclusion.shtml

Edited by petemcewan