Inside the low wage economy..

Well its a degree in journalism. I was taking more about a general sense of entitlement that because you have a degree you will earn at least x amount.

Wiith some courses you may well stand a better chance of earning more. However just because you have an engineering degree does not mean ASDA will pay you more to stack shelfs. This is specifically what I was talking about although did not mention in my post. This person was offered a job unrelated to her degree, can't remember specifics, and there way no way they were going to pay her more just because she had a degree.

If I was your friend with a degree in journalism, I would be taking on these low paid jobs for the experience. She can always write about it as a freelance. With a journalist, no experience is wasted... and they'll be able to pay a few bills at the same time.

Just a thought.......

I was surprised when I worked at the UKBA how many young graduates were employed there in basic admin roles. I got a part time job there after I retired, and many of the young new starters had been to university. That's fine if there is career progress, but I didn't get the feeling there was much.

My son graduated in the early 90s in Economics, but could only find a low paid job. Once he got a further qualification in IT, he got a 'graduate level' start and has been able to build an excellent career.

Isn't the problem that everyone feels the need to go to university and get a degree?

40 odd years ago there were about 10% of the student numbers in Sheffield. Folk didn't need student loans because student numbers were low enough to give them grants. When they got their degree they were in demand and usually walked into a well paid job.

I found a company to sponsor me during my studies, and when I qualified I had a job waiting. Now so many folks go to university that many end up flipping burgers.

Oh yes, I too know a few people with cushy jobs, but they don't come up that often probably because those people who have them, hang on to them.

These programmes however were not about that. They were looking at the new minimum wage jobs that people who can't get anything else (and anything else is becoming rarer) are more or less forced to take. And the programme also pointed out that anyone could find themselves in that position; graduates, anyone over 50, basically anyone with bills to pay and no job.

Point is, not everybody is able to do them as these willing volunteers found out.

---------- Post added 26-08-2016 at 21:48 ----------

Couldn't agree more.

What actual evidence is there that non minimum wage jobs are becoming rarer?

Isn't the problem that everyone feels the need to go to university and get a degree?

40 odd years ago there were about 10% of the student numbers in Sheffield. Folk didn't need student loans because student numbers were low enough to give them grants. When they got their degree they were in demand and usually walked into a well paid job.

I found a company to sponsor me during my studies, and when I qualified I had a job waiting. Now so many folks go to university that many end up flipping burgers.

Lots of jobs don't need degree level education, but because there is a glut of it, some companies are demanding it regardless. So what do you do?

The other problem is a lack of jobs except for low paid, 0 hours ones, and these do not give the opportunity to work your way up a defined career path.

Apprenticeships might be a better bet in some cases, but even a lot of traditional vocational jobs like plumber, electrician, etc now have to find jobs through agencies which only provide temporary contracts on low wages, with no security.

---------- Post added 27-08-2016 at 19:01 ----------

What actual evidence is there that non minimum wage jobs are becoming rarer?

Still not watched the programmes eh? They provide plenty of informed and qualified talking heads quoting facts and figures / evidence to camera..

Edited by Anna B