Once the wars are over.

Samssong, you said when " All the wars are over.' Nice thought and wish it would come about one day. But this is the Middle East, where wars have gone on for 5,000 years.

Many of the immigrants/refugees the UK has taken in over past 30 years are from the Middle East and eastern Europe. Most of these countries do not have a history of a "One man one vote" system, and the ME states don't intend to, in their drive to have only religion manage and direct the government. So not a progressive environment to go back to.

So I believe many immigrants will stay put once they have jobs, speak English, have children and settle down. Some entreprenurial types may drift back to help to rebuild, but ME politics will keep most immigrants/refugees in the UK and the other western countries they have moved to.

You could say the same about Europe, wars going on for the past 5k years (except we were still living in caves 5k years ago).

And the whole democracy thing is really pretty new as well.

Women have only had the vote in the UK for <100 years. Before 1918 only 1/3rd of men (and no women) actually had a vote here.

If you fled a civil war and invasion and settled somewhere else for a decade and made a life for yourself (and your children). Do you think you'd leave again the minute someone declared it 'safe'?

Members of my family did just that and are doing very well. There is no reason why other refugees shouldn't return home.

Jukes x

Members of my family did just that and are doing very well. There is no reason why other refugees shouldn't return home.

Jukes x

I appreciate that it might be personal, but care to expand on that?

---------- Post added 25-08-2016 at 14:41 ----------

The only chance of getting them to move back is if the countries they are from introduce a welfare system like ours.

looks like they're stopping then

You realise that many of them are highly qualified?

Refugee status doesn't mean skilless.

Hey Cyclone: understand the point you are making, the recency and fragility of democracy as we know it. If you look across the English speaking world, western Europe, Japan, India etc, democracy has taken hold, and as a famous person once said "It is much better than the next best thing !"

We can encourage and help States that want to join the democracy club. But watching the friction and interaction amongst Middle Eastern countries, it appears it could be quite a time before a democratically elected government might surplant religion and its leaders there.

That's why I think that the majority of immigrants, presently anyway, will remain in place, esp. for safety, security, opportunity and family development .

The challenge the western democracies have is how to develop a successful policy of immigrant "Integration" into their established societies. Especially so for muslims who have been subjected to propaganda about what to expect in a democracy, relative to separation of religion from government, freedom of worship, speech, association etc, and sharia law

I appreciate that it might be personal, but care to expand on that

I will expand a little bit if you are interested. Religious persecution and eventually murders forced my family to leave two different countries. Some members of my family died fighting as members of a local militia against the religious persecutors. A few family members returned quickly to fight and others returned once it was reasonably safe and have rebuilt their lives and their town since returning.

There are millions of people who want to return quickly but there are also millions of people migrating using lies about their situation because their only aim is to move to a country where they would be turned away. Liars are very good at telling lies and there are a lot of well meaning but stupid people who are very gullible so they keep leaving for the easy life instead of working hard to make their homeland wonderful.

Jukes x