Do you use a cleaner? What do they do?

Well it looks as though their are some very smug posters on this thread who seem to believe that they are some how not to be involved with the more mundane tasks of life and indeed live on a different planet than the lower orders.

Nope.

Nobody has said that.

You've invented that entirely, whilst completely missing the point that people have made.

Some of the folk who I visit have family's who see them only once in a blue moon due to their busy lives ,these busy lives inc gym visits , golfing, lattes with the lasses, drinkies with the lads ,so on and so on . meanwhile old mum ,dad ,grandma, grandad are being attended by the warden on a daily basis , the warden listens to the tales of days gone by when the said gym attending wine drinking loves were still kids.

So people neglect to visit parents. That's nothing to do with hiring a cleaner!

Then once in the blue moon Debs or Daniel turn up and like a whirlwind rush around moms flat full of what they are going to do once they have the latest trip to Cannes or the Lakes out of the way .

On leaving one or two will say "Ask the warden to !!!!!!!!!" etc or as I stated in my original post " do you think they would do a little cleaning for me"

That's a simple request to hire someone to do some cleaning. It's you that's making it into an issue.

Sorry luvs but we have enough on looking after lonely old Gran and Grandad while you are having drinkies at the wine bar.

So say no. But stop getting bent out of shape about people not wanting to clean.

It sounds like you have a bit of a chip on the old shoulder OP.

Having a cleaner doesn't equal laziness, even if it was don't get bogged down with other people's choices.

Do they pay enough and on time? Treat staff fairly? If so and you need hours take the work.

If they are arisses and you don't like them just refuse politely.

When I worked away from the house and had smaller kids I did have a cleaner.

I had enough time to clean but I had no enthusiasm or energy left so I made a choice that for two hours a week I would pay the £45 and have a domestic clean.

My rationale was the swimming lessons I wanted to attend with kid were dead time that could be filled better by myself but I didn't want to miss out just to rush home and start the Hoover.

I will admit that even after swimming stopped we went and had a lovely hour at the library so still no hoovering :hihi:

Now I work from home so I pay myself. Set a timer for two hours and clean, the money I pay myself goes in my surgery saving pot.

Nothing to do with menial work just fitting it all in and having a balance that suited me.

I just don't like cleaning and find it more efficient to work for an extra hour rather than clean for two or three. It's not a judgement about people who clean, it's a judgement about how best to utilise my time.

Well it looks as though their are some very smug posters on this thread who seem to believe that they are some how not to be involved with the more mundane tasks of life and indeed live on a different planet than the lower orders.

Some of the folk who I visit have family's who see them only once in a blue moon due to their busy lives ,these busy lives inc gym visits , golfing, lattes with the lasses, drinkies with the lads ,so on and so on . meanwhile old mum ,dad ,grandma, grandad are being attended by the warden on a daily basis , the warden listens to the tales of days gone by when the said gym attending wine drinking loves were still kids.

Then once in the blue moon Debs or Daniel turn up and like a whirlwind rush around moms flat full of what they are going to do once they have the latest trip to Cannes or the Lakes out of the way .

On leaving one or two will say "Ask the warden to !!!!!!!!!" etc or as I stated in my original post " do you think they would do a little cleaning for me"

Sorry luvs but we have enough on looking after lonely old Gran and Grandad while you are having drinkies at the wine bar.

I hope you never eat in a restaurant.

---------- Post added 01-04-2016 at 15:42 ----------

It sounds like you have a bit of a chip on the old shoulder OP.

Having a cleaner doesn't equal laziness, even if it was don't get bogged down with other people's choices.

Do they pay enough and on time? Treat staff fairly? If so and you need hours take the work.

If they are arisses and you don't like them just refuse politely.

When I worked away from the house and had smaller kids I did have a cleaner.

I had enough time to clean but I had no enthusiasm or energy left so I made a choice that for two hours a week I would pay the £45 and have a domestic clean.

My rationale was the swimming lessons I wanted to attend with kid were dead time that could be filled better by myself but I didn't want to miss out just to rush home and start the Hoover.

I will admit that even after swimming stopped we went and had a lovely hour at the library so still no hoovering :hihi:

Now I work from home so I pay myself. Set a timer for two hours and clean, the money I pay myself goes in my surgery saving pot.

Nothing to do with menial work just fitting it all in and having a balance that suited me.

That's a fab idea about paying myself to do the cleaning like a savings jar. I might just do that and have a 'treat' every month!

[quote=Mister M;11347011

On a slightly separate point there is an interesting article in todays paper on the introduction of the new higher living wage. Apparently economists are warning that middle-class households that rely on cash-in-hand cleaners, gardeners and car washers are among the employers deemed most likely to try to avoid paying the increased minimum wage:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/01/middle-class-cash-in-hand-employers-unlikely-to-pay-minimum-wage

Please tell us where anyone can find a gardener or cleaner that will turn out for less than £10 an hour now, let alone after the new nlw rate comes in? You're living in a dream world! :)

The man who cuts my lawn charges me £15 quid, he also does weeding if needed, takes him less than an hour, and he uses my mower and my electricity. It's still worth it to me.

If any one wants to help the economy I have a granddaughter who is very good at untidying. You could hire her by the hour ( tho one hour may be long enough ) to untidy then hire a cleaner to clean up after her.

I know my granddaughter would spend her money on sweets and chocolate thereby helping the local economy.

I hope you never eat in a restaurant.!

I bet their tripadvisor reviews are a hoot.

"Unbelievable! Packed with snobs who have no idea about the real world! Table after table demanding that the chefs cook them food and it to be brought to their table. Do these people think they are royalty???? Yet it was me (who had naturally brought a packed lunch and assured the downtrodden staff I would be making no demands of them) who was told to leave!!! Madness!'

On a slightly separate point there is an interesting article in todays paper on the introduction of the new higher living wage. Apparently economists are warning that middle-class households that rely on cash-in-hand cleaners, gardeners and car washers are among the employers deemed most likely to try to avoid paying the increased minimum wage:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/01/middle-class-cash-in-hand-employers-unlikely-to-pay-minimum-wage

If someone is classed as self employed does any minimum wage enter into the equation..can't the self employed set their own rate if they think a lower one will get them the gig?

I bet their tripadvisor reviews are a hoot.

"Unbelievable! Packed with snobs who have no idea about the real world! Table after table demanding that the chefs cook them food and it to be brought to their table. Do these people think they are royalty???? Yet it was me (who had naturally brought a packed lunch and assured the downtrodden staff I would be making no demands of them) who was told to leave!!! Madness!'

You win the internet today!

If someone is classed as self employed does any minimum wage enter into the equation..can't the self employed set their own rate if they think a lower one will get them the gig?

Nmw does not apply to self employed or directors.