Traingate Smear Falls Apart

Labour has gone from the Blairite model of ignoring voters concerns when it won't enable them to grab power to ignoring voters concerns for "ideological purity" reasons.

Quite honestly most people lost track :) of what is actually happening and most don't care any more.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of message coming from Labour. The media has shut them out too.

It's all a bit weird.

What law has Corbyn broken by filming?

None by filming it. By publishing it I think that Virgin Trains could have a pretty good run at libel. However Branson is not that petty mores the shame - Corbyn could do with a good hard dose of reality at the moment.

The same data protection laws people reckon Branson broke.

Complete rubbish. You don't know what you're talking about.

---------- Post added 27-08-2016 at 23:27 ----------

None by filming it. By publishing it I think that Virgin Trains could have a pretty good run at libel. However Branson is not that petty mores the shame - Corbyn could do with a good hard dose of reality at the moment.

Really?

Has serious harm been done to the reputation of Virgin Trains? Has the company suffered significant financial loss as a result?

If neither then they don't have a legal leg to stand on.

In fact their staff came out of it very well and were a credit to the company. If anything they have been unharmed by the whole thing.

Edited by I1L2T3

Complete rubbish. You don't know what you're talking about.

---------- Post added 27-08-2016 at 23:27 ----------

Really?

Has serious harm been done to the reputation of Virgin Trains? Has the company suffered significant financial loss as a result?

If neither then they don't have a legal leg to stand on.

In fact their staff came out of it very well and were a credit to the company. If anything they have been unharmed by the whole thing.

You dont have to suffer significant loss, if you can shwo any loss it's grounds for libel. By implying that you have to sit in the vestibule, that would mean that people will avoid the trains for reasons of safety, for comfort, and general inconvenience. It would be trivially easy to show some loss, and that is grounds for an action. Virgin wouldnt want to recover the monetary loss per se but they would want to recover their good name. Instead they decided to recover it a different way which also had the side effect of make Corbyn look like a liar, and look incredibly foolish so it's quids in both ways.

You dont have to suffer significant loss, if you can shwo any loss it's grounds for libel. By implying that you have to sit in the vestibule, that would mean that people will avoid the trains for reasons of safety, for comfort, and general inconvenience. It would be trivially easy to show some loss, and that is grounds for an action. Virgin wouldnt want to recover the monetary loss per se but they would want to recover their good name. Instead they decided to recover it a different way which also had the side effect of make Corbyn look like a liar, and look incredibly foolish so it's quids in both ways.

Look, Virgin trains have a monopoly on the service on those routes. People can't avoid them. I use the services quite frequently and I know for a fact Corbyn is totally spot in with his observations of the service. Quite often people do end up sitting or standing in the vestibule. Everybody who uses the services frequently will know this. Just in the last few months I've been on Virgin trains with broken air conditioning where people actually chose to go in the vestibule because the train was baking hot. I've been on services that have run minus one or two carriages causing the trains to be rammed. I've been on services where previous trains have been cancelled causing the trains to be rammed. Practically every time I have reserved a seat somebody else is sitting in it because there is no room elsewhere on the train and you then have that awkward moment when people have to shuffle around. It can take ages to get settled after boarding.

Don't try and portray Virgin as a perfect service that Corbyn has no right to criticise. It has massive problems. It is the most complained about rail operator by a country mile.

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/the-most-complained-about-train-company-in-britain--lkARkvmdyW

If Virgin want to take all that very publicly through the courts I'm sure Corbyn will be happy to oblige.

Look, Virgin trains have a monopoly on the service on those routes. People can't avoid them. I use the services quite frequently and I know for a fact Corbyn is totally spot in with his observations of the service. Quite often people do end up sitting or standing in the vestibule. Everybody who uses the services frequently will know this. Just in the last few months I've been on Virgin trains with broken air conditioning where people actually chose to go in the vestibule because the train was baking hot. I've been on services that have run minus one or two carriages causing the trains to be rammed. I've been on services where previous trains have been cancelled causing the trains to be rammed. Practically every time I have reserved a seat somebody else is sitting in it because there is no room elsewhere on the train and you then have that awkward moment when people have to shuffle around. It can take ages to get settled after boarding.

Don't try and portray Virgin as a perfect service that Corbyn has no right to criticise. It has massive problems. It is the most complained about rail operator by a country mile.

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/the-most-complained-about-train-company-in-britain--lkARkvmdyW

If Virgin want to take all that very publicly through the courts I'm sure Corbyn will be happy to oblige.

It may or may not be true that Virgin Trains run a rubbish service, but that is no excuse for going along with a film crew and faking an incident, and lying about it, just because the events you wished to highlight didn't actually occur on that day.

Isn't that pretty much what the American swimmers did at a filling station after the Olympics? That didn't end well either.

Edited by pacifica