Washing machine - Samsung, Bosch or .. ?

I would not spend more than £20 at Currys! I looked at Panasonic tv recently, they said would have the usual 12 months guarantee, then it would be on their insurance which was very dear. Same tv at Richer sounds came with five year guarantee. To get back to the question, I have had a Bosch washer for over 16 years and it has been repaired twice, neither time very expensive. Good luck, and let us know which one you go for.

just bought a samsung from currys it has all the flashing lights and even plays a tune when the wash cycle has finished plus you can download the samsung washing machine app for your phone. but more importantly it came with a 5 year warranty

Nopes, Curry's prices are the best. But their warranty isn't very good, going by reviews. John Lewis do good warranty schemes, but their prices are higher.

I read online that it is possible to haggle over prices in-store at John Lewis. Has anyone actually tried this and got anywhere?

I get Hotpoint appliances with a 50% discount via my employer. So this way for me.

If you need one with a proper childlock don't get an LG. Had a Hotpoint for many years, it could have been repaired but since having children I thought I would get one with a large drum. The LG one specified a childlock - I thought great except it's not really what I would consider a childlock but of course I didn't find that out until after I bought it.

With my old Hotpoint it didn't matter what you pressed it would not change the cycle, if there was a power cut it would even start from the same place rather than the beginning.

The LG you could switch off the washing machine and then it would reset itself - this was made worse by the fact that it was one of those machines that weighs the washing. Therefore it would take even longer the second time as the laundry was now wet, of course if the kids switched it off again I would have to start the cycle again, and again...

When I checked other washing machine Samsung's also do this, it is described in manuals as locking programmes - so a child can't change the programme but they can switch it off.

Currys agreed with me that the LG shouldn't have been described as having a childlock and let me switch to a Hotpoint.

I would say though that the LG was a good machine as long as you don't have small children.

Get a Miele... Best there is and often come with 20yrs guarantee.. by the time a miele packs in, you'll have spent 3 or 4 times what it costs in replacing other brands.

I think you will find that's a myth,you may be able to pay and extend it to 10 but no way do they come with a 20 year warranty.

I was working for a customer a couple of years ago who's wife insisted on miele appliances.

The washing machine went faulty and they called out the Miele engineer. My customer was telling him how his wife proudly only has Miele appliances and he said Miele now has their components made in China. Since this turn around he has noticed more breakdowns in their young products.

Lets hope the Germans get back on track with quality.

White goods are usually manufactured in whole or in major components by massive factories. All different brands come out of few assembly lines in eastern Europe.

Some manufacturers assemble their own products, but they buy major components outside.

So you never know what you buy.

It says Bosch but it can be motor from Romania, steel parts from Poland and electronics from China assembled in factory that isn't even owned by Bosch.

Same badge on power tools or phones does not mean same quality on products made in different factory by different people using different process.

Buy British, at least people you'll curse at will understand you.

https://www.ebac.com/shop/washing-machines

I think that is the only manufacturer in this country, not sure how much of their parts is sourced in China.