Help with narrow boat.

:help::help::help: Hi my mother lives on a narrow boat at tinsley marina & needs the engine servicing & the 12 volt system looking at. Shes lived on board at tinsley for about 18 years but since my dad passed away not much maintenance has been done am afraid. i know nothing about diesel engines & even less about marine diesels & nothing at all about electrics. I believe it will start but the last time i took it out to black the bottom it broke down on me. That was about 4 years ago & have been trying to get her to do something about it ever since. Edited by Dungsurf

:help::help::help: Hi my mother lives on a narrow boat at tinsley marina & needs the engine servicing & the 12 volt system looking at. Shes lived on board at tinsley for about 18 years but since my dad passed away not much maintenance has been done am afraid. i know nothing about diesel engines & even less about marine diesels & nothing at all about electrics. I believe it will start but the last time i took it out to black the bottom it broke down on me. That was about 4 years ago & have been trying to get her to do something about it ever since.

It might be worth getting an emergency start jump lead pack. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/compact-jump-starter-300a-150psi-compressor-n21kj?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CJGf-ODL5s4CFc4V0wodAIwC7w

You can then get the thing spinning on the starter motor. Motor accessory shops sell Easy Start which is aerosol ether. If you spray that into the intake of a diesel it will fire up. After that hopefully the thing will carry on running on its own systems. If not get a van mechanic who services cars in your driveway.

Thanks for your reply. It will start apparently it was moved the other week as bw replaced lock gates the other week & they drained the pound its moored in wilst carrying out the work but it was only up to top lock pound so not far enough to find any problems. Cheers.

Thanks for all your suggestions.They moored up at Thorn for a few months when parts of the canal were closed so i know Thorne boat yard & thinking about it they may have done some work on boat before will have a word with her about it tomorrow cheers.

Could you not have a word with other users of the Marina? I'm sure somebody will have the name of a good, reliable man who does their boats for them. I believe they're a friendly lot down there.

They may be but they don`t very often help out with the biannual litter pick on the Tinsley Canal ! I always find that odd, people are travelling from all over to pick up litter, yet it`s comparatively uncommon for one of the boat owners down there to join in !

Yes your right Justin my mum & dad used to help when my dad was still with us but my mum is 76 now & cant walk for miles like she used to. A few years ago some new boaters came to live on the top pound where my mum was then moored & started to take over. There's a group of disabled / learning difficulties young adults who do litter picks & grow veg etc down there & they use the boaters club house but they tryed to stop them using it. They were then given the fishing rights on the top pond where they are moored & proceeded to ban all fishing on there. It used to attract people in wheelchairs & elderly anglers who couldnt get over the locks but they cant come anymore.They bullyed my mum till she couldnt take anymore & she moved down to the next pond thats how friendly they are.